[modeleng] Welcome to Rod, Marie and Tim

  • From: "Shep" <shep.28@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Modeleng" <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 21:36:51 +0100

Hi there
Thanks for your messages (especially your condensed history, Rod!) and Welcome
to the joys of this List.

I had a somewhat similar introduction to Engineering, Rod, a bit before yours!
 In 1946 I was apprenticed into a book printing company, but as most of our
machinery was pre-First-World-War and in constant need of repair, I spent a few
happy years attending practical fitting & turning classes at the Cape Town
Technical college.   After my apprenticeship, I learnt to drive a desk, and my
modest skills were in danger of disappearing, so I started up a workshop at
home to keep the manual skills alive, until I retired as MD in 1991.   We then
moved to England, taking my workshop with us, and since then (I am about to
turn 80) I have happily played in the workshop, mainly making tools.   I am now
in the process of constructing a small precision lathe from scratch - about one
half completed.     Keeps the old chap out of mischief!

Enjoy the chatter on the List.

Cheers!   Hubert