[modeleng] Shed Roofs and Workshop Construction

  • From: "Richard Gays" <Richard.Gays@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 17:02:12 +0100

Hello,
    I,m a bit late coming on to this topic but only managed to get onto the
list today despite trying much earlier.

    About two years ago I built myself a new workshop, 5 metres (16 feet 7
inches) by 4 metres (thirteen feet 2 inches) by 2 metres  (six feet 7 inches)
to the eaves and 2.5 metres to the ridge (8 feet 2 inches).

    Apart from the concrete base, wooden purlins and upvc windows, it is of all
steel construction. It is warm in winter, cool in summer and there have been no
condensation problems whatever. The only heating ever used are two 1Kw  quartz
infrared elements mounted on suspended swivels to face anywhere. They do not
warm the air, they only warm up what they shine on.

    This happy state of affairs is entirely due to the cladding which is a
composite construction consisting of an outer layer of .6mm (.024") of plastic
coated corrugated steel, an inner layer of nearly flat but rigidified white
plastic coated steel (same thickness) and a sandwich filling of expanded foam,
40 mm (1.57 inches) in the troughs and twice that at the peaks.

    Further details of this material will be found at
http://www.slecladding.co.uk/composite.htm

    It has provided me with a light airy workshop with superb insulation, and
it looks good too.

    Anyone wanting pictures of this workshop, please Email me direct.

Dick Gays, Leicester, UK.