[modeleng] Rosebud Grates

  • From: "Lee Grant" <leegrant@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 19:56:48 +1000

There is an interesting article in the latest AME on "Rosebud" fire grates
something that I hadn't heard of before. the author Les Phillips wasn't sure
where they originated. ( maybe somebody can enlighten me) they look to be
simple to make just a flat plate with drilled holes chamfered on the underside.
 Les's experiments burning char show that an air space to solid ratio of 10% is
best,  that was after working his way down from 50% which is usually
recommended for coal.
Has anyone any knowledge of these grates, good or bad.
Lee