[modeleng] Re: Replacable Tips

  • From: "JESSE LIVINGSTON" <fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 17:05:09 -0500

> Gentlemen, I think I read someplace, back in the Dark Ages, that Carbide
tool bits would NOT stand up to
> intermittent cuts at all and would chip badly when used for such
operations.
> Al Messer

Al, I think that was more common with the first carbide tooling than it is
now.  In fact the early tools required that there be an entry and exit
chamfer on castings so the tool would not unload or load suddenly lest it
break.  Carbide has improved a great deal and when I was working at the
aluminum rolling mill the same caveats were being touted for the new ceramic
tool bits as were quoted for the early carbides.  I am sure the ceramic
tools have improved enough that maybe they will withstand shock loads.

Jesse, machinist retired, Tennessee USA