[modeleng] Re: Re: [modeleng] Re: 3½ versus 5

  • From: "R.L. Roebuck" <rlr20@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 14:10:14 +0100 (BST)

Hi there Jem,
I might be wrong, but I think it was in Brian Hollingsworth's book "LBSC,
His Life and Locomotives" that there is some quote about LBSC saying that
a proper coal fired boiler was surely more akin to a scaled down version
of the prototype than the Smithies boilers which were then more prevelant
in gauges like 3.5" on 'scenic' layouts, and how with a coal fired boiler
you could haul people with the loco's as well.

Hollingsworth then goes on to point out that the sight of a full size
person behind a scaled down locomotive is surely the ultimate nail in the
coffin as far as keeping everything scaled in proportion is concerned!

Having said that - I do take your point though. I'm not convinced that you
couldn't make a scale cab fitting layout in 3.5" gauge, but the scale
fittings would be larger in 5" gauge, and thus easier to drive with.

I am a great believer in doing things 1) because of the common sense of
them, but 2) because of what to you seems right.

Unless you can see some major reason why you shouldn't go for 5" gauge,
then that is perhaps where you should head.

One slight thing to watch for, on the lathe front though. Just because
your lathe can take a 6.5" diameter disk of metal, that doesn't mean that
it will machine something that diameter well. Case in point - my Myford M
will machine a disc that is 10" diameter, but that doesn't mean it would
be a good plan to try making the wheels for a 15" gauge Tich on it.

As people have said - you shouldn't let that stop you - the ML10 will do
just about all the other jobs you should want of it for 5" gauge loco
construction.

Yours,

Rich.