[modeleng] Pliers

  • From: "shep" <shep.28@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Modeleng" <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 13:59:28 -0000

Hi there
I have been rearranging my workshop, and I had good look at a favourite pair of
pliers, which I think my father bought before the War.   They were made by
Kraeuter
(I think of Chicago).    Beautifully designed. with the handles fitting neatly
into the hand.   The outside of each 'leg' is deeply engraved with an
ornamental pattern which prevents slipping when oily or wet.  The ends of the
'legs' are fashioned into a screwdriver and a spike     The jaws come together
only at the points, so they are parallel at about 1/8" apart.

The point of all of this waffle, is that the cutting edges, the gripping
grooves and the pivot are pristine - not bad after about 65 years of
intermittent work!   I wonder if the modern versions are so carefully designed
and finished, and whether they would match this longevity?

Cheers!   Hubert