[modeleng] Re: Original wooden patterns for full size GWR wheels?

  • From: Peter Sheppard <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 09:49:06 +0100

I can't go back that far, but when I started my apprenticeship in 1978 at
Westinghouse Brake and Signal Company Limited (aka Restinghouse Signal and
Tea Break Company Ltd.) there was an on-site foundry that I spent 4 weeks
working in as part of the experience.  Whilst I was there an order came in
from Pakistan Railways (I think) for some point hand lever mechanisms.  We
checked and we last produced some in 1932.  Off to the pattern shop, found
the orginal patterns off to the foundry and made the castings. One happy
customer!

All long gone now, such a waste....

Cheers

Peter
(In Australia 30th April - 10th May and in Pittsburgh 11th May - 21st May)