[modeleng] Lathe prices

  • From: "Alan Stepney" <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 20:56:51 -0000

As most of you will know, machine tools are selling for very low prices
nowadays.
A secondhand Colchester Student, that would have been around £3,500 a few
years ago can now be had for around £1,000.

And then there are the exceptions.
Near me is a junk shop, and looking in there window Sunday I spotted a
Unimat lathe. the 1000 /SL series, which dates from the 1955-1970 era.
No threading capability and too small for much serious work. Also, one of
the flimsier models, that had many motor problems.

Out of curiosity, today I phoned them to see how much it was.

£300.
WOW.
Thats expensive, said I.

To which the owner replied that he had an identical one some months ago and
that was what he sold that one for.

Amazing!

Alan