[modeleng] LBSC and boilers

  • From: "Peter J. Cathcart" <peter.cathcart@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 11:09:53 +0100

Peter

I would tread very carefully following any boiler designs from LBSC.
According to our boiler inspectors they are in need of significant updating.
If you want to build a boiler the best way is to draw up your plans and have
the plans approved by a boiler inspector before you start.

Even our boiler inspectors have their plans approved.  Simply building a
boiler and expecting a boiler inspector to check it will not suffice.  Those
of you who are used to seeing Taliesin on the IDSME stand at Sandown Park
and Wembley (it was missing last year as Peter Pardington was down with a
bad virus) will see his boiler under construction.  His plans have been
approved, and indeed modified, by our two other boiler inspectors.

 Peter

Got the book on LBSC, his Life and Locomotives. It's quite interesting to
see that some of his designs are still being built, 50 years on.

Question: are the techniques he used for his boiler designs and
construction considered OK by today's standards, or is there a pragmatic
approach taken on the basis that  they've never been known to fail?

Peter Chadwick
Swindon.