[modeleng] Re: Jewellers enamel

  • From: "Tim Rickard" <the_viffer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 09:05:27 +0000

I've done a bit of enamelling over the years (and these days I'm tending to
do more silversmithing than model engineering).

If you enamel just one side of a piece of metal the enamel will crack on
cooling because of the differential stress. So you enamel the back too.
Since that is not seen you can use any old colour and people usually sweep
up the odds and ends and stick it in a tin. It is probably that.

A very satisfying technique and rather fun as the fired colour can be quite
different from the unfired. Try it on copper first as it is easiest. Silver
is tricky unless you have special enamelling silver.

If you want more info let me know but I'm not certain how relevant it is for
this list.