[modeleng] Re: Is the list quiet or has my name dropped off the list ?

  • From: "Jessie Livingston" <fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 10:51:37 -0500

I used my little Logan 7" shaper to cut keyways as well as internal splines.
We had a large internally splined coupling to strip on the hydrostatic drive
on our sawmill carriage feed.  This was between the hydrostatic pump and
150hp motor.  Mill would not operate w/out it of course so I built up the
splined area with 7018 electrodes and bored it out a bit.  I then
Afro-engineered an index device by purchasing a sprocket with the proper
number of teeth and fastening it to the coupling.  A setscrew held the
sprocket while I cut the splines one at a time.  Worked a treat as you
Aussies and Brits say and I had the milll running the next morning..  The
coupling was still in service several years later when the hydrostatic drive
was replaced by a hydraulic cylinder feedworks that operated via a large
hydaulic pump, but this was after I retired.  The hydraulic cylinder was 35
feet long and actually there were two of them. One pushed the carriage one
direction and the other one pushed it back the other way.  No internal
pistons, the piston rod was several inches in diameter and only required
packing glands on the cylinder ends.

Jesse in 88° F Troy Tennessee located 400 miles inland from the BP oil
spill!