[modeleng] Re: Honing/lapping steam cylinders

  • From: "alanjstepney" <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 20:19:46 +0100

I always run my engines in, usually turning them mechanically for a while
(clamp on lathe bed with crankshaft in chuck, and low revs works for me),
with loads of oil everywhere.

Then run on low pressure air, again with lots of oil.

By that time everything has loosened up, and a look at the bore will usually
show it to have a nice smooth, but not mirror finish.

alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

www.alanstepney.info
Model Engineering, Steam Engine, and Railway technical pages.