[modeleng] Re: Dust from hard woods-workshop projects

  • From: "JESSE LIVINGSTON" <fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 07:38:08 -0600

At our sawmill here in Troy, TN, we are required to send out a warning
notice concerning the hazards of breathing wood dust with every shipment of
lumber.

Unka Jesse in Tennessee
:

> Hi to all,
> I am told that most hard woods that we work that  produce dust are bad for
us, i surpose when woodworking was done at slower speeds with shavings
instead as now with routers at high spindle speeds.
> I surpose that metal machining  that we do at work with very high spindle
speeds and large feed rates(15,000 to 30,000RPM) and flooded with
coolant/cutting lubricants we get a mist which we need special
collectors/Vacumn cleaners so that the workshop does not end up in a haze.
> I would think that with Health and Safety that this has been looked into
and we are protected againist harm(I hope).
> Not the kind of thing that we encounter in our home workshops except for
wood, and a vacumn can take care of that.