[modeleng] Re: Dimensions of ADAMS was 3 1/2 vs 5 " gauge

  • From: "Jem Harrison" <Jem.Harrison@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 10:44:16 +0100

Pierre,

In 7¼-inch gauge the scale ought to be 1:8.

Prototype dimensions were:
cylinders 16" x 22"
wheel diameter 3ft 9.75ins
boiler diameter 3ft 8ins
boiler length 10ft 8ins
Firebox length 3ft 9ins
Grate area 10.75sq,ft.
water capacity 600gals

The above figures are taken from D.Bradley, LSWR Locomotives, the Adams
Classes, (1985), p.97.

The livery changed over the years (from 1891 until the end of steam on BR).
Bradley's book has a chapter devoted to liveries.  If you are in the UK you
should be able to borrow this book from your public library.  If not, let me
know the particular time that you would wish your B4 to represent.

Best wishes,

Jem Harrison
Basildon
UK