[modeleng] Re: Casting Questions O/T Asbestos shingles

  • From: Allen Messer <al_messer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 May 2005 13:03:41 -0700 (PDT)

I'll tell you something else that will explode when
heated---old-fashioned Asbestos Shingles when used to
insulated a model water tube boiler casing!  Like to
have scared me out of a year's growth when it started
going "Bang" like a .22 RF rifle going off right next
to where I was standing.

Al Messer
--- Roger Mason <roger.g3tdm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     Jesse said:
>
> >and none of us got
> >burnt while we used a wet putty like material
> (probably asbestos based, this
> >was in the pre-EPA days) to build a low dam to
> contain the metal.
> >
>     In an aluminium foundry,  part of an outfit I
> worked for many years
> ago,   the substance used to plug up leaks and
> generally control the
> flow of molten aluminium was uncooked dough - as
> used to make bread.
> It was delivered every morning fresh from the bakery
> near-by!   It sure
> made the foundry smell nice!!
>
>     We used to cast large diameter aluminium billets
> in a continuous
> casting process.   The dies were made of copper and
> were water cooled.
> The water,  when it passed through the die just
> trickled down the sides
> of the,  by,  now solid aluminium cylindrical
> billet.   And you guys are
> worried about a little dampness!! :-)
>

>        Cheers,
>

>           Roger Mason,  in a lovely spring day in