[modeleng] Blowlamp for small silver soldering jobs

  • From: "R.L. Roebuck" <rlr20@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 11:43:52 +0100 (BST)

Hi there All,

As I've mentioned before, my model engineering activities currently have
to take place in the living room of my 2 up, 2 down house. I have a large
propane burner for boiler work, for which I normally work work in a
friends garage, but for small odds and ends that need silver soldering, I
work in the living room, with a little blowlamp.

The old blowlamp's canister ran out, and not able to get a replacement, I
bought a new brand of mini-blowlamp, running from a can of propane/butane
mix, now the question is this:-

The flame seems to flutter, and there is a sort of fast osciallating
roaring noise when it runs. From looking in the burner, there are some
huge burrs hanging off the air holes, and I'm wondering if this is giving
rise to turbulence, or something like that.

Now being a perfectist, my gut reaction is to cut the burrs off, BUT if I
do this, might it make the air and gas mix less well, and reduce the heat
of the flame?

It works at present, and I'm hesistant to tinker with:-

a) what I don't understand

...and...

b) with a product which perhaps is tried and tested, and works best as it
is

Any thoughts anyone?

Yours,

Rich.