[modeleng] A Eureka Moment

  • From: "Clifton" <clif.gwr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 May 2013 19:48:09 +0100

Hi All,
As it's very quite out there.

For a long time now I have always found it a chore breaking lumps of coal down
to a size suitable for my 5" locos.
The only method that I found consistent was to put a lump of coal in a biscuit
tin or on a tin tray and then hit it with a hammer. This effectively then kept
most of the bits in a confined space.

I had tried various methods of crushing it using an old vice but this was slow
and not very effective.

Suddenly last night a eureka moment. Why not use a pair of Bolt Cutters as they
have a lot of leverage built in?

I thought about taking the actual cutting edge off but when I got my pair out,
the cutting edge was part of the whole blade and the jaws did not open
sufficiently to get a lump of coal in.

I then noticed that on the handles down near the cutters, there were two cast
on knobbly points that prevent the actual handles closing together too far.

On trying them, they opened wide enough, were absolutely perfect for holding a
lump of coal and when the handles were closed, cutting it to pieces.

Net result a perfect tool for cutting up coal and far easier on the ears.

I did the work over a sheet of plastic flooring to catch all the dust and bits
which could then be picked up and emptied into my coal bucket.

Job done and without annoying the neighbours.

Clif