[mit-ac6] Mga questions ni Ma'm Fajardo

  • From: Neil Santos <ne0_akt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mit-ac6@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 03:23:36 +0800

>> [Saturday] 10/12/2002 :: 3:02 AM -- NEWMSG

[Please read the whole post.]

A while back, Ma'm Fajardo inserted a couple or so questions into one
of my assignments, which I saw when I got my paper back.  I asked her
then if she wanted me to answer those questions right then and there,
but she refused.

A few weeks back (before my computer passed out), I wrote her an email
message asking her again if she wants those questions answered, and if
she would let me answer them publicly--who knows; someone here might
even get something from my doing so.  She replied to the affirmative.

So I'm answering some of those questions now.

One of them is, ``Are you contented with life without (a) God?''

It's quite difficult for me to give a definite answer, as her question
implies that I know a life with a god; but I don't.  Never, in my
eighteen years on this planet, have I experienced a life with a god.
Any god.

Also, I dislike ever saying that I'm `content'.  Being content leaves
no more room for growth, since, when you're content, you're not
inclined to take risks, experiment, and ask questions.  I'm simply not
like that.

So, a straight answer to the previous (as straight as I can make it)
is `No'.  I'm not contented, because I want to further find proof as
to whether a god (Christian or not) exists or not.  So far, my search
and my common sense just tells me there isn't one.  Or two, or three,
or a million.

Am I simply ``angry with God'', like a number of friends and
acquaintances have implied?  I've thought about it, and I can honestly
say that no, I'm not just ``angry with God''; there isn't any god to
be angry with or at.

Another question Ma'm Fajardo asked is ``If you will die today, where
will you go?  Heaven or hell?''

This is a much easier question to answer; if I'm going to die today,
I'm going to a grave.  Note that I'm not trying to be funny; I
seriously think that I'll go no further than a grave when (and IF) I
die.

But what if I'm wrong?  What if there really -IS- a God, and heaven
and hell both exist?  What am I to do?

I'll just go up to Saint Peter, or whoever would be in charge of
people who've just died, and say,

``Sir, I lived without your god, but I lived a life that followed his
ideals.  When I turned 18, I stopped lying.  Although I've seriously
thought about killing myself and other people, that's as far as I've
ever gone.

``I cared for strangers, I tried to make my planet a better place to
live in through my own little ways, and I loved with all my heart,
never caring about getting hurt.''

But I don't think I'll ever come to a situation where such actions
would be neccessitated.

-------
``... I don't suppose we shall see them again.''
        -- Frodo, from `The Fellowship of the Ring', by J.R.R. Tolkien

... I see your foot and your mouth have been introduced.