[missbirdphotos] Re: Osprey Today

  • From: "Judy Howle" <howle@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <missbirdphotos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 00:51:16 -0500

Nice butt shot Bob ;-)  Sorry, I couldn't resist!  Very nice shots. That
looks like a good lens.

I don't have any shots of osprey that close as there aren't many around
here. The only nest I know of is in the river in very shallow water due to
silting at the merging of the waterway channel with the original river
channel. Bill Kidd took me in his boat to see it but when the depth finder
said 0 ft. we couldn't go any closer.  I got a few shots of the nest, some
with babies, on 2 trips up-river with my 100 - 400 lens, in 2010.

 <http://southernexposure.zenfolio.com/p12014625>
http://southernexposure.zenfolio.com/p12014625  This is the first trip in
May. You might enjoy seeing the rest of the images along the Tenn-Tom
Waterway near Columbus and the lock and dam if you haven't seen it before.

A few weeks later in June we went back again on a 96 degree day and nearly
burned up. The osprey were all panting.  You can see the babies in this
album  <http://southernexposure.zenfolio.com/tombigbeebirds>
http://southernexposure.zenfolio.com/tombigbeebirds  The light wasn't too
good in some of them.

I hoped Bill would take me last summer but he was very busy and hit a stump
the first or second time he put it in the water and damaged the boat.  I
hope we can go this summer if they are still using the nest.

Judy Howle

Southern Exposures

http://southernexposure.zenfolio.com

Digital Photography Class; Resources for Photographers

http://digitalphotographyclass.net