[missbird] north Mississippi birding

  • From: Jason Hoeksema <hoeksema@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: missbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 16:14:44 -0600

missbirders,
Yesterday, I took my ornithology class from Ole Miss to bird at Coldwater
River NWR (southwest of Batesville near Crowder) and the Sardis Dam area,
and we were joined by Gene & Shannon Knight.  At Coldwater River NWR, we
were pleased to find a brand new elevated, covered observation platform,
which made viewing of the ponds quite a bit easier.  Highlights there
included a large flock of (at least) 10,000 SNOW GEESE, ~40 ROSS'S GEESE
picked out among the nearer groups of Snows, 5 Plegadis ibis (one of which
was confirmed as a WHITE-FACED by Gene before our arrival), 40 WILSON'S
SNIPE, and a nice assortment of ducks.  The Sardis Dam area was pretty
quiet, but we did find a single ROSS'S GOOSE.

While searching for the SPOTTED TOWHEE in Robert Briscoe's yard (reported
yesterday by Robert; it eventually showed up for us around 4:30 p.m.), we
flushed 3 AMERICAN WOODCOCK.
Full checklists from eBird are pasted below.
Good birding,
Jason Hoeksema
Oxford, MS

Coldwater River NWR, Tallahatchie, US-MS
Feb 25, 2012 9:30 AM - 11:00 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.1 mile(s)
26 species (+1 other taxa)