[missbird] Re: Sardis lake

  • From: JR Rigby <jr.rigby@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: billbobumpo@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 17:47:40 -0600

MissBirders,

Willa Sanders, Mardi Russell and I were also at Sardis yesterday around 4pm
and would add to Billy's list that we were able to find the White-winged
Scoter (near the dam), Lesser Black-backed Gull (Lower Lake, sitting on a
buoy), and a Common Loon (near the dam). An adult Bald Eagle was also
stirring up the Bonaparte's Gulls on the main lake. Also, when we were
there ~100 Canvasbacks and a few Redheads could still be found on Lower
Lake. I was not able to find the female Common Merganser previously
reported.

Willa and Mardi also had five swans (probably the same five Jason Hoeksema
saw recently) in the Holly Grove Rd area early yesterday afternoon. I tried
this morning to relocate them without success. There were, however,
approximately 700 Sandhill Cranes at the usual spot. More duck hunters than
ducks in the area.

At Enid Lake this morning a Laughing Gull continues to visit the beach by
the dam at the entrance to the overflow channel.

Good birding,

JR
Oxford