[missbird] 2 different buntings at the feeder today

  • From: Robert Smith <rsmithent@xxxxxxx>
  • To: MissBird ListServ <missbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 19:20:13 -0400

As we were eating dinner, I looked out the window & saw the male painted
bunting that overwintered here on the feeder.  A moment later, I looked up
again, and it looked very different - and it WAS different because it was a
male indigo bunting that just showed up.  They both did feed at the same time
for a bit - but of course my cameras were in the truck. We also had a pair of
bluegray gnatcatchers flit through as a yellow-rumped warbler loaded up at the
suet block; the yellow-rumped was eventually flushed by red-winged blackbirds.
The northern cardinals, Carolina chickadees, tufted timice, and a few remaining
American goldfinches fed at the sunflower feeders.  A small flock of nutmeg
mannikins fed for a bit as well (they have been regulars all winter, but have
become more sporadic visitors in the last couple of weeks).  Robert
SmithBiloxi, MS