[mirtoolbox] Spectrum Functions Explanation

  • From: Darryl Griffiths <dazgti@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mirtoolbox@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 May 2015 21:00:05 +0100

Hi,

I need help in discovering what the process entails when you invoke a spectral
function such as mir-brightness without passing any parameters?

For example, b = mirbrighness(x) I get a single value of e.g. 0.567

Is this a long-term average computed using short-term, then mid-term windowing,
followed by a long-term average of all the mid-term windows? If so, how can I
compute the standard deviation?

Also, can I change the short-term window size? I did try creating a
mirspectrum object with a ‘Frame’, 0.02, ’s’, 0.01, ’s’. But when I passed
this object into mirbrightness I get a plot with partial missing data, and not
a long-term statistic like the aforementioned: 0.567. I am also not entirely
sure what the mirrms function does in this process?

Computing mirspectrum related to WAV/Tracks/9_to_5.wav...
Computing mirbrightness related to WAV/Tracks/9_to_5.wav...
Computing mirrms related to WAV/Tracks/9_to_5.wav…

Thanks.