[mira_talk] Re: cleaning reads

  • From: Tony Travis <a.travis@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 May 2011 11:24:41 +0100

On 09/05/11 09:44, Jose Blanca wrote:
[...]
Would MIRA
need any additional functionality in clean_reads to work ok?
The clean_reads page is:

http://bioinf.comav.upv.es/clean_reads/

I'll have a look at it as soon as possible, but that may still be in a couple
of weeks only.

As said above: as long as the 454 lowercase/uppercase convention is repscted,
I do not think additional things are required.

We have added a new option to clean_reads in the new clean_reads version
to enable the lowercasing of the regions to be trimmed. We hope you find
it useful.

Hi, Jose.

I installed "clean_reads" 0.1.0 after you posted your message here, but I've not yet been able to get the parallel version working. The single-thread version works properly, but is extremely slow cleaning 20x10^6 Solexa reads on a 2GHz Opteron with 64GiB RAM under Bio-Linux 6 (64-bit Ubuntu 10.04). I only managed to clean about 350Mb of a 3.5Gb Solexa fastq sequence file in 48h, before I aborted the job and tried the parallel version. What sort of throughput should I normally expect?

Bye,

  Tony.
--
Dr. A.J.Travis, University of Aberdeen, Rowett Institute of Nutrition
and Health, Greenburn Road, Bucksburn, Aberdeen AB21 9SB, Scotland, UK