[mira_talk] adaptor trim

  • From: Huang Yi <huang.y.hy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 10:35:07 +0800

Hi all,

In MIRA4 manual (
http://mira-assembler.sourceforge.net/docs/DefinitiveGuideToMIRA.html#chap_dataprep),
about data preparation, it said:

"4.4. Illumina

Outside MIRA: for heavens' sake: do NOT try to clip or trim by quality
yourself. Do NOT try to remove standard sequencing adaptors yourself. Just
leave Illumina data alone! (really, I mean it).

MIRA is much, much better at that job than you will probably ever get ...
and I dare to say that MIRA is better at that job than 99% of all
clipping/trimming software existing out there. Just make sure you use the
[-CL:pec] (proposed_end_clip) option of MIRA."

I wonder if you all really didn't do adaptor trim? I had a set of illumina
data from Nextera kit. Is the adaptor from Nextera "standard sequencing
adaptor"?

If I didn't trim the adaptor, only 60% of reads can map to my reference.
But if the adaptors were trimmed, 90% of reads can map. Because I do not
know the algorithm of MIRA, may I know if MIRA can process the trim before
assembly?
What do the "standard sequencing adaptors" include?

Thank you for your help.

Yi