[mira_talk] Re: Installing MIRA on OS X 10.7 Lion

  • From: John Nash <john.he.nash@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 17:50:23 -0400

On 2012-04-23, at 5:26 PM, Bastien Chevreux wrote:

> On Apr 21, 2012, at 0:25 , Egon Ozer wrote:
>> Is Mira working better on OSX now?  The last version I tried would compile
>> but consistently fail on hybrid 454 and Illumina assemblies.  Bastien and I
>> went back and forth a bit trying to figure out why without much luck (about
>> a year or so ago).
>
> And I still do not know why your project fails when running on a Mac. I am
> actually tempted to think that it may have to do with the Apple supplied gcc,
> but I am not sure at all. Part of the problem is that I cannot run Egon's
> project on my MacBook Air to trace the exact problem, not enough memory for
> that.
>
> Egon, in case you want to try 3.4.x again, this time compiled with the
> newest, unmodified gcc, please drop me a note.

I know that Apple decided to change its gcc but are we talking about running
MIRA on native OS X or using MacPorts?

I had trouble with MacPorts Boost package about 6 months ago and gave up using
MIRA on Macs. It never occurred to me NOT to use MacPorts.

But, assembling on a Mac is an exercise in patience so I really only compile
MIRA to use convert_project and some other tools, not the assembler itself.

John

PS I'm still trouble-shooting with regards to the SFF file corruption problem
that I reported last week. Some of you asked me to report on the outcome.
Preliminary tests indicate that SFFs generated natively on a 454 sequencer
using the 2.5p1 version of Roche's software are not compatible with versions
2.5p3, 2.6 or Mira.  This is still being worked out so I could still be wrong.
But that's where I am heading right now.