[mira_talk] Re: Compiling mira-3.2.1 on MacOS X 10.6

  • From: Bastien Chevreux <bach@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 20:09:25 +0200

On Aug 23, 2011, at 1:50 , Peter Stockwell wrote:
> The previous boost was 1_39 which is still within the acceptable versions
> according
> to the INSTALL notes, however it kept failing with 'missing template
> arguments' errors at the 'make' stage.

Hi Peter,

citing the iNSTALL file at the position of interest

  VII) Example: how to compile on Mac OSX 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
   This has been tested on OSX 10.6.4. You will need XCode (from Apple) and some
   packages from MacPorts. Note that I used XCode 3.2.5 and MacPorts 1.9.2
   (downloading BOOST 1.45). Lower versions of all of the above *might* work,
but
   not necessarily so.

Obviously 1.39 was part of the "not necessarily so" :-)

I think I'll update the INSTALL anyway to have 1.4x as minimum requirement.

> I had in the interim installed boost_1._47 (and at one point 1_42) but the
> boost installation
> had left older versions in place and the mira configure & build persisted in
> finding that version.

BOOST and the autoconf system (which MIRA uses) have had a love/hate
relationship for quite some time. If I recall correctly, there have been a
couple of changes in the build process during the development leading to 3.4.0,
so maybe that problem may be history already.

MIRA 3.2.1 certainly is history.

> The solution was to remove the older boost libraries and includes manually -
> in fact to delete all
> traces from /usr/local/ and reinstall the latest boost I had.  It then worked
> fine.

Well, a new BOOST is not a bad thing :-)

Best,