[minima] Re: Yet more on Wire.h / I2C FET Interface...

  • From: "Steve VK2SJA" <vk2sja@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: minima@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 15:49:02 +1100

Hi Mike,

> I'm still thinking there are some speed or timing that is affected by the
> higher gate threshold value of a BS170/2N7000  (but, as I told Mac:
> "I'm not an EE, but I play one on TV...").

I'm not an EE either. And I've never played anything on a TV! (Well
excepting VCRs and DVDs perhaps).

But I'm thinking your dead right.

http://playground.arduino.cc/Main/I2CBi-directionalLevelShifter

Contains the The Philips Applications Note AN97055 circuit followed by the
specific reference:-

"The mosfets must be types that activate with a very low gate voltage. For
example mosfet BSS138 or TN2501."

How did you get on with 'low gate threshold' FETs you had on order?

73, Steve.