[minima] Re: Xtal Filters

  • From: "Steve VK2SJA" <vk2sja@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: minima@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2014 14:16:56 +1100

Thanks again Joe!

Yep that would work!! :-)

I came in at Zo in/out ~= 75 ohms for what looked best to me. Somewhat
subjective are these real world adjustments. Dishal software was
predicting 94.5 ohms.

Matching network built as best I could for 75 ohms. Attached are the
resulting VNA plots.

Extremely happy with the VNA transmission loss plot. Less than 0.5dB
ripple now. The return loss plot has evened itself up somewhat but it is
still not real flash. Best I could manage today.

I think it is probably usable. probably even pretty good for a homebrew
filter. But I'm thinking I might try order in some quality crystals with a
brand name you can trust and see what difference that makes. These
crystals are just incredibly cheap eBay ones.

I pretty sure the VNA software is telling me that the crystal Q is about
14K (14,428). Is this good or bad for a 20Mhz crystal? I read about
crystal Q in the 100,000 range which is an order a magnitude greater than
what I have here.

Also another thank-you for pointing out the other day that if your
crystals cases are grounded then this reduces your Cp value. Turned out to
be critical.

In this process I discovered that the Dishal software can be trusted to
predict correct values for QER filters including the bandwidth outcome.
(Which is good because so far as I know it is the *only* software with a
built in QER calculator). But the crystal holder capacitance (Cp) is
critical. I found I had to measure the capacitance value in pF of he
crystal between the leads, record that value *AND* then short both the
leads together and measure capacitance between the shorted leads and the
case of the crystal. Deduct the second value from the first and that's
what you plug into Dishal. Then my actual bandwidth was very, very close
to that predicted.

73, Steve.