[minima] Re: Toroid size?

  • From: Thomas Sarlandie <thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "minima@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <minima@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 15:25:41 -0700

I have only rewound the transformer, not the inductors. Mark used 32 I
think so you could look at his numbers, he usually just had one more turn
than I did. What I have discovered is that the number of turns is not as
important as the spacing between the turn and how much you spread it on the
toroid. It's pretty sensitive and you get a lot of variations (10 to 20%).

I bought the AADE LCR meter and I strongly recommend it. It's a very useful
tool for that type of project: http://www.aade.com/lcmeter.htm

At $100 in kit, this is also a fun evening project. Of course you can do
without, just spread the turns to about 75%/80% of the toroid and then use
a scope and a cheap generator to test the LPF when you are done.

thomas

thomas