[minima] SOLVED! Re: Re: Anything special about T3's capacitor to ground?

  • From: Thomas Sarlandie <thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "minima@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <minima@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 00:48:58 -0800

Hello everyone!

It was a little past midnight and there was plenty solder smoke in the
shack when I finally heard my minima for the first time ...

Special credit to Mark who sent the decisive last message which led to
victory. Thanks to everyone who shared comment and tips. The international
brotherhood of electronic wizards has once again lived to its reputation!

After Mark last messages, I decided to build a new mixer on a separate
board, starting from scratch. I used new diodes that I re-matched. Picked a
new transformer and checked it's core AL value (thanks Mvs Sarma for
suggesting this; it was ok). Used a drill to prepare the trifilar wires,
carefully placed the three windings, etc - gave it lots of love.
Then I used a little piece of coax to drive the bfo signal from my main
board and used my DDS to provide an IF at 20 Mhz. With that complete new
setup on a new board, I still had the same problem: with the capacitor to
ground there was no signal out of the mixer.

At this point the only thing that could be bad was the BFO so I rebuilt
another BFO from scratch on my new board.
With the new BFO, I finally got a working setup. The audio signal was there.

I then looked very carefully at the BFO on my main board and found my
problem in 30 seconds. The 100pF capacitor that is supposed to be between
the base and the emitter was between the base and the collector. I moved it
and it fixed my problem. (And then considered whipping myself with a
coaxial cable ...)

I have fixed a lot of software bugs but I think with this bug I have earned
my first home-brewing scar ;)

I would have found the problem earlier if I had suspected the BFO was the
problem. I assumed it was ok because I was getting a decent signal out but
I was wrong.

Anyway, I am now listening to 20m and 40m. It's pretty much dead now but
just plugging the antenna in the minima, I can hear a large difference in
noise level. I have birdies, am stations and it finally sounds like a
receiver. I am confident there will be qsos going on when I wake up
tomorrow.

I hope everyone will sleep better knowing that the excellent schematic of
Mr Farhan was not the problem - I take full responsibility!

Thanks again everyone. Each evening spent on this radio is a ton of new
stuff learnt - next steps, the transmit stages.

73!
thomas

PNG image

PNG image