[minima] Re: Rotary Encoder ( Jon Lee_firmware ) + hardware modification

  • From: "Mac A. Cody" <maccody@xxxxxxx>
  • To: minima@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2014 21:15:16 -0600

I think that the rotary encoder found in a scroll-wheel
mousewould work for this application and be relatively cheap.
I used one of these a few years ago on an experimental,
software-defined direct conversion receiver using a Cypress
PSoC microcontroller and an Si570 for a VFO.  I gutted a
scroll-wheel mouse to bring the rotary encoder button
signals out on the PS2 cable to the microcontroller.  It
required debouncing, as any rotary encoder does, and it
worked well.

73,

Mac AE5PH

On 03/02/2014 08:56 PM, Sandeep Lohia wrote:
Sub : Rotary Encoder ( Jon Lee_firmware ) + hardware modification

problem with CFR_Pot is that they don't last long, & a sudden change in...
nor can I afford wire-wound... but happens to have 4 extra coders in handy here

rotary encoder being more economic then a good quality wire wound
pot, but at the curse of availability only in Metro Cities.

  push buttons ( up & down ) might be another simple approach...

playing with codE
just needs key-boarD

but what is your extra-terrestrial setup for tuning ?
with encoder Sir, that you have already done with...
it might be useful for others too... (if U share)
in initial stage of R&D

Manhattan is not my flavor, but taste can change anytime...

as in now,  at least I am OK drilling holes & ready with surgical
knife @ my distributed PCB
but it is only going to mean slight modification to the control board
or major issue???

if others too wana play with Rotary Encoder @ Adrian's designed PCB

Boards might take some time to reach you guys in British Isles
I have written on it as ' FREE GIFT, HOBBY PCB, EDUCATIONAL'
to a university address, from there it will be distributed locally,
via domestic.

so that it won't get stuck in customs.

O YAA! Software dependent RIG it is !!!