[minima] Re: Minima V1.0, what AF levels at diode mixer needed?

  • From: allison <ajp166@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: minima@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2015 13:43:35 -0500

The typical level for that form of mixer is 5-10 db less than the
oscillator injection.  So if the diodes are
driven with about 7dbm the audio drive should be about -3dbm possibly as
high as 2dbm.  We are
talking about .22 to .4V p-p.

Generally its good to inject a signal and see what leve the waveform (or
power) tends to flatten out
and distort.  Then go a few (3) db) less as a maximum.  This would be at
the modulator output.  This
gets the best carrier (suppressed) to message level.  Care is needed to
insure the level out of
the IF amp does not reach overload and if so reduce IF amp gain as
needed.  Again the mixer
after the filter must not see a signal greater than its input capability
it also can be tested for the
maximum undistorted output capability.  Again if the input to that mixer
is then too high
the IF gain should be adjusted as needed.

Myself I'd expect more than -16dbm at the mixer output.  I feel that is
at least 10db lower than
possible.

Allison/KB1GMX