[minima] Minima Roadmap

  • From: "Joe Rocci" <joe@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <minima@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 07:47:34 -0400

In an earlier posting I suggested that this new mixer might be a drop-in
replacement for the much-discussed J-KISS. In the interest of moving the
project along, I'd like to suggest that we now have two alternatives, one that
functions (albeit difficult to reproduce and of unproven performance) and one
that tests out very well on the bench. From a functional standpoint, they're
pin-compatible at the block diagram level. I want to suggest once again that
the board developers move forward as though the mixer issue is resolved, but
put provisions on the board so that a 'daughter board' replacement mixer can be
put in if/when it proves to be better. Actually, it wouldn't be bad to make
provisions for doing this at every stage. The actual circuit implementations
are likely to change regularly, but the block diagram is (I think) sound. If
this is an acceptable bridge between present roadblocks and the long-term
roadmap, it will allow us to get a set of boards out that more folks can build
and improve on without fear of obsolescence. If we're going to do this, we
should agree on the number/function of the pins required for each
daughter-board.

Joe
        From: "Joe Rocci" <joe@xxxxxxxxxx>

        Date: Tue, August 26, 2014 5:08 pm
        To: minima@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

        I quickly hooked the new mixer board up to the test set for some more
scans. The conversion loss looks identical, maybe even a tenth or so better.
All the mixing products up to 100 Mhz look identical at a cursory glance,
except the LO leakage which looks about 10 dB worse at -39 dBm. Still very
respectable but I'll need to find out what changed. I used the transformers
from the breadboard, so it's not them. Possibly something to do with using a
different pair of switches in the IC package.

        I attached scans of return loss at both ports. They look almost
identical, with the LO popping up at 34 MHZ....to be expected. This is a good
sign of performance symmetry and also a good sign of very little energy wasted
due to mismatch.

        More to come...

        Joe