[minima] Re: BSS - IF Amp and Audio Amp

  • From: "Charlie , W5COV" <cvest@xxxxxxx>
  • To: minima@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 13:58:39 -0600

I too have a copy that I bought new and had a spare copy, that I passed along to someone that I KNEW would use it and not try to resell it.

I was both shocked and disgusted that the prices out there on my favorite used book sites are based on nothing but greed. I guess one could argue they are not doing anything different than many that flip radios.

I do indeed like your suggestion that the ARRL should do a reprint of it. They have made several runs of other books in the past.

Everyone in the group should write the ARRL asking them to do so and also enlist the support of other QRP groups to help show they could justify doing another run.

Best Regards,

Charlie, W5COV

On 1/19/2015 11:56 AM, Lawrence Galea wrote:
Agree that it is an excellent book, but the prices being asked are disgusting and sheer highway robbery The ARRL should reprint this book because it is scandalous that copies are fetching such a high price because it is out of print.
I bought mine brand new for $12

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 6:04 PM, Jerry Gaffke <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    TI has a presence around the world (though I'm sure not everywhere).
    For the MSP430 launchpads at least, they were not charging for
    shipping.

    And speaking of buying things, you can pay up to $335 for SSD
    these days.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/solid-state-design-for-the-radio-amateur-american-radio-relay-league-incorporated/1000133512?ean=9780872590403
    So if you have a copy, put it in a safe deposit box, and maintain
    proper humidity.  Right in there next to your HP42S calculator.

    Allison, if you want others to try your circuit, might help if you
    sketch out the front end of things with component values, and
    specify the FET used:

    #############
    The initial bias is a resistive divider plus a pot  through a
    diode to
    the AGC transistor.  That provides manual gain control.

    The Level shifter drives the same point via a diode for Audio
    derived AGC by rectifying
    audio before the volume control.  I use a voltage doubler to
    rectify the audio signal
    to charge a cap (1uf paralleled with 1m Ohm for agc time constant)
    that DC is applied
    to the level shifter.

    Jerry, KE7ER

    On Monday, January 19, 2015 7:41 AM, Arv Evans
    <arvid.evans@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:arvid.evans@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
    The TL974 is available from Texas Instruments (samples or purchase).
    http://www.ti.com/product/tl974

    <http://www.ti.com/product/tl974>

---