[mini-app] New Photos

  • From: Tom Speer <me@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "dyob42@xxxxxxxxx" <dyob42@xxxxxxxxx>, "ORCA@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ORCA@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, mini-app@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2019 19:54:51 -0700

Foam cores added to structure, sanded to shape, and paper wrapping applied.  I've also glued carbon reinforcements to balsa sheets for trailing edges.  New photos at https://www.flickr.com/photos/basiliscus/albums/72157710570797943.

Not everything has gone according to plan.  For some reason the port tip panel became difficult to mate with the center section. I applied too much force, it buckled, and snaped in half. Shazbot! I guess that's what two-part polyurethane plastic bonder is for.

Before I applied the brown paper wrap, I primed with Bulldog water-based plastic adhesion promoter.  First time I've used this product.  I'm hoping it will improve the bond between all the plastic bits and the Titebond II used to apply the paper skin.

Sanding the shape into the top surface went pretty well.  The printed ribs work well as templates, especially when covered with packing tape to help protect against being sanded away.

The next step is to glue the trailing edge sheets to the structure.  Then iron on the laminating film.  I may add ribs to the underside to reinforce the trailing edge, but I'm waiting to see how stiff it is first.  I'll finish up by cutting ailerons into the tip panels and installing aileron servos & wiring. That will pretty much compete the basic wing.

After that, I'll be working on span extensions.  Instead of a few big extensions, I'm considering a bunch of smaller 15" pieces, the same size as the panels I've been working on.

Cheers,

Tom