[minbyeffect] Ministry By Effect Newsletter - February, 2002

  • From: "Eric Reamer" <Eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <minbyeffect@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 21:51:14 -0700

Warm February Greetings!!

Or should I make that, "wishful thinking"?  My greetings are warm - but
everything else is definitely freezing!  While it certainly has been a "dry"
winter, it has been quite chilly here in the center part of the country.
Not to worry, though - we'll just throw another log on the fire... and warm
things up with a newsletter packed with great stuff for you!

WHERE WE'VE BEEN

This section will be fairly slim, because the winter months have done their
thing, and work has been quite scant.  The first 2 1/2 weeks of January
offered no work, but then that allowed a nice visit from my father.

On the 18th, we traveled to Woodward, Oklahoma for two school assemblies.
This was the second year that we have been invited to do programming for
this school.  I brought my friend, Victor Schiro, who served as the
videographer for both programs.  The assemblies were for the middle school,
and all indications suggest that they were very well received.  We are
assembling the video footage now, with the intent to produce a 5 minute
promotional video for schools that request it.

On the 20th, we performed back in Sterling, Colorado, at our home church.
It was the first time we have ever performed at this church (we've been
attending for about a year and a half), and I believe that our program was
appreciated.

Immediately following that program, my oldest son, Steven, and I packed up
and headed for Green River, Wyoming.  There, on the 21st, we worked in
cooperation with the City of Green River, and the Police Dept. to present
two D.A.R.E. 5th grade culmination programs.  This is the 4th year in a row
that we have worked with the city, schools and police of Green River, and we
enjoyed being there again this year.

And finally, on the 24th, my youngest son, Sterling, and I joined up again
with Victor Schiro, and headed up the mountains to perform 2 assemblies for
the school in Fairplay, Colorado.  Sterling helped with the technical aspect
of running the sound, and Victor again caught both assemblies on video.
Perhaps the most noteworthy aspect of this particular trip, however, wasn't
what happened at the performances.  It was the fact that all three of us
were quite under the weather (Victor was sicker than a dog!).  I'm sure we
were quite a sight as we sniffled and coughed our way through our
obligations.

WHERE WE'RE GOING

February is shaping up to be a relatively busy month.  We get started in
just 2 days, when I will be traveling to Loveland, CO (about 2 1/2 hours
away) for a Kid's Crusade.  We start Sunday morning with 2 services, and
then  we go Sunday evening through Wednesday evening with the kids!

On the 9th and 10th, I'll be jumping down to Colorado Springs (3 hours from
home) to present programs for the youth, as well as the children of one of
the local churches down there.  I am especially looking forward to both of
the above-mentioned events, because some of the children I'll be seeing were
present at the District Kid's Camp that we spoke at last summer.  It will be
kind of like a reunion, and I'm not sure who is more excited - them, or me.

On the 23rd I will be returning to Tomball, Texas (north of Houston) to
present a city-wide outreach program.  We love the people of Tomball, and
had a great time the last time we were there.

And then, on the 25th, I will be presenting a school assembly for an
elementary school in Magnolia, Texas.  This will also be the second time for
us to perform for this school, and again, I am looking forward to working
with them again!

If you are anywhere near any of the locations that I have mentioned, and
would like to either attend one of the programs, or just meet for coffee...
or, if you would be interested in perhaps having us perform at your church
or school while we're in your area... please don't hesitate to either e-mail
my secretary, Mary Lenski (Mary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx), or call us
toll-free (in the United States only) at 1-877-GO-4-ERIC.

LOOKING AHEAD

Mar. 3, 2002    Greeley, CO
Mar. 4, 2002    Derby, KS
Mar. 7, 2002    Port Arthur, TX
Mar. 8, 2002    Lubbock, TX
Mar. 10, 2002    Aurora, CO
Mar. 17, 2002    Gilroy, CA
Mar. 18, 2002    Pittsburgh, PA
Mar. 19, 2002    Mohawk, PA
Mar. 20, 2002    Erie, PA
Mar. 21, 2002    Gibsonia, PA
Mar. 22, 2002    Ambridge, PA and Baden, PA
Mar. 26, 2002    Indianapolis, IN
Mar. 30, 2002    Mt. Pleasant, TX

Apr. 12-14, 2002    Cookeville, TN

May 9-10, 2002    Riverside, CA
May 17, 2002    Sterling, CO

PRODUCT REVIEWS

As promised in last month's newsletter - I will be reviewing some great
effects in the paragraphs to follow.  Two of the products are not "new" to
me - but they may be new to you... and the third is a wonderful illusion
destined to become a classic in its own right!

SOME BUNNY LOVES YOU

For as long as the Gospel story has been told, storytellers have been
looking for new and creative ways in which to communicate the truth.  Our
first product in review is one of the most novel, funny, and original ways
of communicating the truth that I have ever seen.  (Of course, I may be
slightly biased, because I am the originator of this particular product!
*grin*)

You are given 6 colorful bean-bag bunny rabbits, and an absolutely
hysterical script that is very easy to memorize.  With each new bunny
introduced, the Gospel story is delivered in a way that will keep your
audience rolling with laughter - and anticipating the next play on words!
Here is an example of how the routine goes:

"The Bible says that all have sinned, and all fall short of the glory of
God. I guess if I had to use colorful bean bag bunny rabbits to tell that
story, I would say (hold up the blue bunny) that somehow, some way...
everyBUNNY BLUE (blew) it!"

"Jesus came to give us life (hold up the green bunny), and green is the
color of life.  He came to give us the, "aBUNNYdant" life!" (abundant)
"...this whole message is, "aGREEN" (agreeing) with the Scriptures!"

These are just two of the excerpts from the complete routine.  I have
personally used this routine, just as you receive it, for television, as
well as live audiences of more than 2,000, and I can testify for its
effectiveness.  It is appropriate for most all ages (can easily be scaled
down for children under 5), and most of all - it is 100% solid Gospel!

Some Bunny Loves You is PERFECT for Easter, or any other time that you want
to present a compact, super-funny, and extremely practical illustration of
God's Word.  We like to refer to it as, "the "Wordless Book" on steroids!"

This item sells for only $30.00

THE SWITCH CAN

This is another one of the props that we call, "utility devices".  A utility
device may be used to accomplish the illusion of a "vanish", an
"appearance", or a "transformation".

Of course, one of the most common types of utility devices is called, a
change bag.  Everyone owns one - and if you don't - you should!  (See me for
great deals!)  However, if you are like me (and the vast majority of us who
try to get the most out of your products), you will quickly discover that
you need your change bag every week to make something else "cool-looking"
happen!  The bottom line: the audience becomes aware of the working of the
change bag - and the majority of your "surprise" is lost.

Enter the Swtich Can.  The Switch Can is a relatively compact, round metal
can (about the size of a soup can) that is painted brilliant red on the
outside, and black on the inside.  Without giving too much away, suffice it
to say that there is a "hidden" chamber, of which the audience is never
aware.  This chamber is deceptively large - and it is quite easy to vanish
or produce or change several large, 18" silk scarves.

Because this is a can, you can also use it for liquid productions or
vanishes, which again, just adds to the multitude of routine ideas that you
can use it for.

If you love your change bag, but are just looking for something else to do
the same types of jobs, you should consider adding the Switch Can to your
arsenal of utility items.  If you don't own a utility device - perhaps this
would be a great one to start with.  I use mine in almost every program I do
these days - and I know you'll love the quality and utility of it!

Switch Can - $30.00

LIQUID PENETRATION

Effect: Begin by showing 3 individual plastic tumblers (glasses), and 3
pitchers (or other glasses) of different colored water.  (For the purposes
of the example, we'll say, red, green and yellow).

Now stack the plastic tumblers one on top of the other until you have made a
3 cup tower.  Here's where it gets cool!

Picking up the glass of green water, you pour the water into the top glass
of the tower... but it doesn't fill up the top glass!  Instead, the BOTTOM
GLASS fills up completely with green water!

Next, as you pour the yellow water into the top glass, only the MIDDLE GLASS
fills up - and it fills completely!

And, as you might guess - when you pour the red water into the top glass, it
completely fills the top glass, as you would expect!

For a finale, you separate the three glasses - each full of their own
colored liquid - showing that there is no apparent way for the illusion to
have occurred.

Thoughts: This is a remarkable illusion for a number of reasons.  I think it
hits hard because of the absolute "common" nature of the items used.
Everyone knows how glasses work - and water is a very common, and
well-understood substance.  The fact that the water "penetrates" the glasses
to arrive at the proper location is that much stronger because of our
familiarity with the items involved.

The Gospel applications to such an effect are limited only by your
imagination.  The trick comes with three powdered color dyes, but one can
literally use any colored water desired by implementing your own food color.

It is possible to fill the glasses in absolutely any order you choose, and
the penetration is strengthened even further if you apparently pour a
colored water through a glass already filled with a different color!  The
idea of separation might illustrate how God and man are separated by sin....
the idea of penetration might illustrate how God's Word does not return
void, but accomplishes what it was intended to do.  Like I said - limited
only by your imagination.

Liquid Penetration sells for $18.00

WHAT'S ON THE WEB?

This month's featured web site is http://www.larrys.org.  Rev. Larry Hardy
is a dear friend of ours, and his ministry over the years has produced much
fruit!

In addition to being an evangelist, and a church consultant, and a
speaker/exhibitor at Christian conferences all around the country - Larry
sells some of the finest quality ministry products and fund-raising
equipment on the planet!

His website is as eclectic as he is - and I know you'll love just checking
out all the wonderful items that he has available.  The website is an
extension of Larry's Sunlight Ministries, which is a non-profit ministry
organization.

Do me a favor: if you take a moment to visit Larry at http://www.larrys.org,
drop him a note and tell him I sent you.  I know you'll bless his heart!

CLOSING COMMENTS

Well, my friends... it is about the time I wrap this up for another month.
The next time we write, I'll be blowing out another candle on my birthday
cake, and heading into a very, very busy month!

Feel free to contact me directly at Eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - I love
to hear from you.  God bless you and keep you, until we chat again!!

In service for the King,

Eric
Eric Reamer's Illustrated Illusions
http://www.illustratedillusions.com

An Unbelievable Adventure Into the World of ILLUSION...
     An Unforgettable Message of No-Compromise TRUTH!!!

This e-mail was sent to you as a direct result of your completion of a double
opt-in process of registration.  If, for whatever reason, you are either
receiving this erroneously, or would like to unsubscribe to the Ministry By
Effect Newsletter, please send a blank e-mail with the word, "UNSUBSCRIBE" in
the subject line to: minbyeffect-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

All content is copyright 2001, Eric Reamer's Illustrated Illusions