[MikesWhatsNews] MWN #721 HackFix

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mikeswhatsnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, mikeswhatsnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 16:48:35 -0800

MikesWhatsNews, 27, 02, 2004
in today's issue #721
HackFix Updates
2       Leap Year
3       GetDiz
4       National Underwater and Marine Agency
5       XPlite
6       The Online Safety Guide
7       How to upgrade your system to Windows XP
8       CCC    Cool Beans System Info
9               Easy Reading
10      Passwords
11      Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2  Preview
12      Windows XP Extras Game Content

NOTE: Any time you see the "  ++ ",  it means there is more
          of the article, or story, on the linked site. Mike

Please rate this Ezine at the Cumuli Ezine Finder

http://www.cumuli.com/ezines/ra20853.rate

AOL Users</a>

  HackFix updates, thanks to Christy;
staff@xxxxxxxxxxx
Http://www.hackfix.org
This weeks Virus Pattern Updates (02/26/2004)

All Software listed Alphabetically by Company name as some
companies manufacture more then one product.

Aladdin Knowledge Systems

Esafe Desktop/Gateway/Enterprise
Last Updated Feb 26/2004
To update your software
Visit: http://www.esafe.com/esafe/downloads/virusig.asp
Or
>From the Esafe folder in your Start Menu select Download Updates
~~~~~

AlWil Software

Avast Antivirus
Last Updated Feb 25/2004
To update your software:
Visit: http://www.avast.com/i_kat_69.html
Or
Right click on the AVAST icon in the system tray, Select iAVS Update,
AVAST will check for updates and download the appropriate files as needed.
~~~~~

 Authentium Software Systems

Command antivirus
Last Updated Feb 26/2004
To update your software
Visit http://www.authentium.com/support/downloads/index.cfm
~~~~~

Center for Antivirus Technologies (CAT)

Quickheal
Last Updated Feb 12/2004
To update your software
Visit: http://www.quickheal.com/winupg.htm
Or
Open Quickheal select Utility from the top toolbar and liveupdate.
Follow the onscreen prompts.
Alternately you can select Liveupdate directly from the
QuickHeal program menu on the startmenu.
~~~~~

Frisk Software Systems

Fprot
Last Updated Feb 26/2004
To update your software
Visit: http://www.f-prot.com/download/home_user/
~~~~~

Computer Associates

E-Trust
Last updated feb 26/2004
To update your software
http://support.cai.com/Download/virussig.html
Or
>From the Respective folder in your Start Menu select Autodownload

For Vet Anti virus
http://www.vet.com.au/html/software/update.html

Be sure to have your Customer ID and your registered email address
handy for verification.

**Note**

We knew this time would come eventually, that Computer Associates would
not continue to support/update the older program
https://www2.my-etrust.com/services/ipe_support??
~~~~~~

GeCad Software

Rav (Reliable AntiVirus)
Last Updated:  Feb 26/2004
To update your software:
Visit:
http://www.ravantivirus.com/pages/dldupdate.php?type=Daily
Or
Open Rav and select Rav Update from the toolbar
~~~~~

Grisoft Inc.

AVG
Last updated Feb 24/2004
To update your software
Visit: http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php
Or
Open AVG and click Virus Database to check for updates
Or
Open AVG control centre and click Update Manager/update now

**Note:  To help speed up AVG updates you can set your program to use
an alternate download site.
Open AVG control centre->update manager->download from server.  The
drop downbox should have listed www.grisoft.com (default)  and
www.grisoft.cz. (be sure to select "apply" when done to save the changes)
The default site is most often used so can at times become temporarily
unavailable.  By using the secondary site (www.grisoft.cz) helps to ease
the server and makes your update go quicker as most don't use it!
~~~~~

H+Bedv

AntiVir
Last updated Feb 26/2004
To update your software
Visit: http://www.free-av.com/antivirus/allinonen.html
Or
Open AntiVir, from the top toolbar select Tools->
start internet update and follow the on screen prompts.

Vexira
Last updated Feb 26/2004
To update your software
Visit: http://www.centralcommand.com/updates.html
Or
Open Vexira, from the top toolbar select Tools->
start internet update and follow the on screen prompts.

Vexira Antivirus is marketed by Central Command however it is the
same program as Antivir with only a different name.
~~~~~

Kaspersky

Kaspersky Anti-Virus (formerly AVP)
Last updated Feb 20/2004
To update your software
Visit: http://www.kasperskylabs.com/updates.asp
Or
Open AVP from the top toolbar click Tools-> Update virus        definition
Or
>From the Kaspersky folder in your Start Menu select AVP updater

*Note*  Avp now has available a cumulative update and a
daily update with the daily being any important items they
feel shouldn't wait till the next cumulative update.  Our
dates here are based on the most recent Major update.

**Note:  Improved update accessiblity.  To ease the update web traffic
Kaspersky labs has additional servers for autoupdating.  The program
defaults to use one server but can be altered to check a variety of
servers. Select Kaspersky updater, select update via the internet to
open the drop down box(es) select "location"  Check the box labeled
"Use alternate locations from the list"  select next and next to update.
This option should stay selected after the first time.  This helps
Kaspersky lighten the load for updates and helps you obtain updates
easier.
~~~~~

Network Associates

Mcafee
Last updated Feb 25/2004
To update your software
For Mcafee Visit
http://www.networkassociates.com/us/downloads/updates/superdat.asp
(for Virus and Engine updates)

Drsolomn (Product no longer available for new users however
updates still available for current users):  Go to the following
Internet site: http://download.mcafee.com/updates/4x.asp
IMPORTANT: When you get to this site you may notice that it refers
to VirusScan. This update is not only for VirusScan. It also works
with Dr.Solomon's.

Or
Open your respective software virus scan scheduler, double click
Auto update, click Run Now to do a manual live update, or click
Schedule to set up a timed live update.
~~~~~

Norman Data Defence

Norman Virus Control
Last updated Feb 25/2004
To update your software
Visit:
http://www.norman.com/downloads.shtml#definition_files_updates
Be sure to have your Valid Username and password handy for verification.
Or
>From the Norman folder in your Start Menu select Internet Update

**Note Norman Virus Control web updates are only for version prior to
5.0.  Norman 5.0 can only be updated via the update in the program itself.

Thunderbyte Anti Virus
Current Version: This product is no longer being supported.
http://www.norman.com/tbav.shtml
~~~~~

Softwin

BitDefender (Previously known as AVX - AntiVirus eXpert as of Nov 06/01)
Last Updated Feb 20/2004
To update your software
Visit:
http://www.bitdefender.com/bd/site/downloads.php?menu_id=19&s_id=3
Or
Open BitDefender select Protection Options->live upgrade
Or
>From the BitDefender folder in your Start Menu select Bitdefender Live

Press Release on the software change
http://www.bitdefender.com/press/ref1.php
~~~~~

Sophos

Sophos Anti Virus
Last IDE available Feb 26/2004
To obtain the latest IDE files
Visit: http://www.sophos.com/downloads/ide/

**Note:  Sophos does not update as other products do.  They update
the Engine/software once a month (or so) to include all the previous
IDE files.  New IDE files are available with new virus threats and must
be downloaded individually until the next software update is available.
Our update dates reflect the most recent available IDE file.
~~~~~

Symantec

Nortons AntiVirus
Last updated Feb 26/2004
To update your software
Visit:
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/defs.download.html
select your language -> product from the list
Or
Open Nortons software and click the "live update" button
Or
>From the Nortons folder in your Start Menu select LiveUpdate -
Norton Antivirus
~~~~~

Trend Micro

PcCillin
Last updated Feb 26/2004
To update your software
Visit:
http://www.antivirus.com/download/pattern.asp
Be sure to have your Registration number handy for verification
Or
Open PcCillin click Update then click Update Now (or Update later
to Schedule a timed update)
~~~~~~~~~

If there is an Anti Virus program that is Not listed here that
you would like to see added to the weekly updates list Please
feel free to let us know.

Remember Your anti virus software is only as good as the user...
If you don't keep it updated it won't provide you with maximum
protection.

This weekly Update will be sent every Thursday on or after
6pm (eastern) to keep you up to date on virus pattern updates
available. Virus patterns are checked for most recent update
date as of 6pm Thursdays.

~~~~

~ Hackfix Project Staff
staff@xxxxxxxxxxx
Http://www.hackfix.org

2
Leap Year
http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/astronomy/LeapYear.html
it only happens every 4 years and this year is one.
A leap year is a year in which an extra day in added to the calendar in
order to synchronize it with the seasons. Since the tropical year is
365.242190 days long, a leap year must be added roughly once every four
years (four times the fractional day gives ). In a leap year, the extra day
(known as a leap day) is added at the end of February, giving it 29 instead
of the usual 28 days.
++
3
GetDiz
http://www.outertech.com/index.php?_charisma_page=product&id=4
Win9x/WinME/Win2k/WinXP
Many downloadable ZIP archives have DIZ and NFO files included within them.
Sure, they're simple text files that can be viewed with Notepad, but GetDiz
is a freeware text-viewer especially designed for those files. ASCII art is
displayed correctly and the user interface is small, handy and specific.
Version 3 includes several new features like Print support, URL launch,
Find/Replace, Trim copy and Keyword highlights.
 ++
4
If you enjoy Clive Cussler's books this site will give you some insight to
his real life.
http://www.numa.net/
About NUMA Home -> About NUMA
The National Underwater and Marine Agency (NUMA) is a 501C3 non-profit,
volunteer foundation dedicated to preserving our maritime heritage through
the discovery, archaeological survey and conservation of shipwreck
artifacts.
Our purpose is also to reinforce public appreciation of our marine past,
present and future by initiating and supporting projects designed to uncover
and explore historically significant shipwrecks before they are lost and
gone forever.

Our goals include the protection of these historic sites through public
information programs and to make available archaeological reports and data
on technical expertise while perpetuating the names and legends of the
sea-loving men and women who came before us.

NUMA does not actively seek private funding. Most of the financial support
for the projects comes from the royalties from Clive Cussler's books.
++
5
XPlite
http://www.litepc.com/xplite.html
With XPlite and 2000lite we give YOU the power to set up YOUR machine the
way YOU want!
The power to remove unwanted features, the power to remove upgrades that go
bad, the power to strip potential security and privacy threats out by the
roots.

Microsoft locked Windows away from you...

...We have the keys:XPlite and 2000lite Professional

REPAIR!
More than a powerful configuration utility - XPlite and 2000lite give you
amazing control to repair Windows as well. If a particular technology gives
you trouble you can completely remove it, and then reinstall it as cleanly
as the day Windows was first installed on your computer.
++
6
The Online Safety Guide
http://www.getnetwise.org/safetyguide/

The Guide teaches you about the risks kids face online, based on age levels
or types of activities.
The Guide also includes safety tips for kids, teens, and families.
In fact, the Online Safety Guide is so good you may discover that you don't
need to purchase and install an Internet filter after all.
7
Tune-up: How to upgrade your system to Windows XP  By Mitt Jones
http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/4520-3000_16-5117047-1.html
With Win98 approaching the end of its life, many users are now faced with
upgrading to XP.
ZDNet is offering a free 11-step guide to upgrading, written at a level
comprehensible to the average user.

Giving that old workhorse PC a new operating system won't infuse it with the
dust-raising speed of a new PC, but by upgrading to Windows XP, you can reap
big benefits in reliability. XP also provides easier networking, better
security, and better multimedia support. Here we'll show you the best way to
refresh an older PC with XP.

Upgrading an operating system isn't brain surgery, but it often requires
plenty of time and patience. Expect to spend several hours on the project,
including a couple of hours for preparation and a few for reinstalling
applications after the upgrade. The payoff should be a stable,
multimedia-savvy PC that's ready for another couple of years of serious work
and fun.

You can upgrade to XP without reformatting your hard drive, but starting
fresh should bring a boost in speed, and it also represents your best chance
of having a stable system. Here we step through the process of preparing
your system for Windows XP, performing a fresh install, restoring your data
files and settings, and--finally--reinstalling applications.
++
From; CNET
8
'Christy's Computer Corner'
  thanks to Christy;
http://www.1stpick.org

Cool Beans System Info  Freeware
http://www.coolbeans.ws/sysinfo.shtml

Cool Beans System Info is a small but powerful program that monitors your
computer's CPU, physical memory, and swap memory
usage.  Version 2 was rewritten from scratch, and adds network monitoring, a
task manager, dual-processor support, and enhanced visual effects.

~~~~~~~~
9
Easy Reading

Have you ever been to a web page that had dark text on a dark background?
It happens. Sometimes a background doesn't load right and sometimes it just
bad design, plain and simple.
Either way, it's hard to read.

Well, next time that happens to you, hit CTRL-A.

All the text on the website will be selected (highlighted). The selection
color is normally blue with white text. Much easier to
read than, say, a dark red on a black background.

Was this forwarded to you ?
Get your own subscription here:
<1stpickPCtips-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe>

10
Mike's Friday tip ~ Passwords

One of the tricks I use creating a password it to try and combine letters
and numbers.

I used the make and year of my first car for a long time.
for instance 1957 Ford
Another trick is to alternate the letters
1F9o5r7d

Now if this was my Yahoo id I may add Yh to it
Y1F9o5r7dh

If I wanted to be devious I may reverse the name of the car
1d9r5o7F

Or it could be the first letters of the words to your favorite
song/group/movie ect.
1Fotcn
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

You can even use the Bible, phone book, or other reference book that you may
keep near the computer.

Use your age/or other memorial date as the key then using that key go the
the page.
say I'm 50 I'd go to page 50
Use the last/first letter or number from the last 8 or more words on that
page.

The secret is to have something that you can remember as the key, phrase to
help you remember.

11
Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2  Preview
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/prodtech
nol/winxppro/maintain/winxpsp2.asp
In Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2, Microsoft is introducing a set of
security technologies that will help to improve the ability of Windows
XP-based computers to withstand malicious attacks from viruses and worms.
The technologies include:

Network protection
Memory protection
Safer e-mail handling
More secure browsing
Improved computer maintenance
Together, these security technologies will help to make it more difficult to
attack Windows XP, even if the latest updates are not applied. These
security technologies together are particularly useful in mitigation against
worms and viruses.

12
Windows XP Extras
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/games/downloads/xpextras.asp
The Windows XP Extras program is a monthly series of unique game content
available for download?including add-ons for the hottest games on the
Windows platform. We are currently working with developers and publishers to
create exciting new content that will provide even more entertainment for
gamers. Each month a new featured download will be available exclusively for
Windows XP users.
Windows XP Extras for Kids!
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/games/downloads/xpextrasforkids.asp
We've partnered with leading publishers to provide Windows XP Extras just
for the kids!
 ++

Antivirus software is a good choice to scan your system for possible viruses,
however no virus scanner is 100% effective as manufactures cannot keep up with
the rapid change of viruses that happens daily.
Be sure to update yours regularly.
http://www.hackfix.org/software/antivirus.html
Please feel free, to offer constructive criticism, as that will help me keep it
interesting.
I also welcome any submissions about new products, web pages, or articles of
interest.

All submissions posted in MWN will be given proper credit.
"MikesWhatsNews" believes in giving credit where credit is due but at times
deadlines and information that is very important to readers we accidentally
misspost an item.

If you believe something to be miscredited, or you know the author of one of
the articles which we have posted as 'unknown', please do let us know so we can
correct the information where applicable.

Many times in a article you may see a click here for more information, or to go
to a link, these often will not work, as the original information, was taken
from a page with HTML links. This is when you will want to go to the webpage
indicated in the article, ++ ,for 'the rest of the story'
***MfM*** indicates that I am adding my own information to a particular
article.
                         `~*~*~*~*~*~`
Mike ~It's a good day if I learned something new.
You can read a sample of my newsletter on my web page http://www.mwn.ca
My virus pages ~ http://virusinfo.hackfix.org
mytech@xxxxxxxxxxx
~*~*~*~*~
Was this forwarded to you? Want to subscribe? Send an email
to mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe.

to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject line of "info mikeswhatsnews" without
the quotes.

If you wish to unsubscribe from our list send an email to
mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=unsubscribe

mikeswhatsnews-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                              ~*~*~*~*~