[MikesWhatsNews] MWN #578

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mikeswhatsnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 17:29:30 -0700

MikesWhatsNews, 22, 10, 2002
in today's issue #578
McAfee HotFix Confusion
MS Desktop Product Lifecycle Guidelines
CableNut
WinCustomize Skin Browser 1.0
Empire of the Ants
CCC      Turn your computer into a coffee machine
        Get rid of the pause that refreshes

McAfee HotFix Confusion by Handle With Care
This is somewhat misleading.
First, I don't know how, the U.S. Department of Energy  (DOE)
http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/CIACHome.html got into the act,
but while the site appears legitimate, the information appears
to be messed up.

First, the McAfee W32/insane.dam report that is dated 10/16/02,
NOT the HotFix for McAfee's 4160 engine.
According to McAfee, the HotFix " ...has been available to
customers through the McAfee Support organization since
July 1st, 2002."

And, of even more importance, the VxD portion doesn't seem to
patch onto any McAfee version prior to 4.5.1
(many of us are still out here using 4.0.3 and 4.5) due to
 insoluable problems of installing any version higher.
And, frankly, after McAfee's patch is applied, while I have
noticed an improvement (less jerkiness of mouse and while playing
sound files, but not necessarily fewer BSoD's and other
McAfee-induced problems while shutting down), I don't find any
of their .dll or .vxd files with dates newer than November, 2001.

MS Desktop Product Lifecycle Guidelines
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycleconsumer.asp
Microsoft® Windows® Desktop Product Lifecycle Guidelines provide
advanced notification of planned changes in Windows desktop operating system
availability and support. Under the Product Lifecycle Guidelines, Microsoft
plans to make Windows desktop operating system licenses* available for
purchase for a minimum of five years and assisted support offerings
available for four years. However, during these periods, Windows desktop
product availability and assisted support will move through the Product
Lifecycle Phases identified below.
Thanks to; Christy

CableNut ~ free
http://www.cablenut.com/
CableNut is a tool for optimizing your Windows TCP/IP stack i.e. your
Internet Connection.
We have provided a way to tweak almost every possible TCP registry entry via
the CableNut program.
You can load 'CableNut Custom Setting' files that are included with the
program to tweak your Internet connection.

Just remember that we developed this application to make your Internet go
faster, that is what we wanted.
This software will support ANY connection type, and works with Windows XP!
++
 From: Langa List
http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2002/2002-10-21.htm

WinCustomize Skin Browser 1.0  free
http://www.stardock.com/products/wincustomize/
Access the world's most popular Windows customization library directly from
your PC.

The WinCustomize browser allows you to instantly access thousands of skins,
icons, themes, wallpapers and more right from an easy to use program. Not
only can you access them, but the browser can directly apply them to your
computer without having to interact with the underlying software. Apply your
wallpapers and Windows media player skins and WindowBlinds skins directly
from the WinCustomize skin browser.
From; Stardock Magazine: October 2002
        http://www.stardock.com

Empire of the Ants ~ demo
http://www.happypuppy.com/win/demos/empofants-win-1.html
System Requirements:
? Windows 95/98
? 233 MHz Pentium II or higher
? 32MB RAM
? 200MB hard drive space

During the few seconds you need to read this short sentence, forty people
will be born but, more importantly, so will seven hundred million ants!

Ants have created a parallel civilization, built real kingdoms, invented the
most sophisticated weapons, designed an art of war and perhaps most
importantly, starred in their own Hollywood flicks.

This strategic management game unlike any other will throw you into the
brutal and amazing world of ants. Fights to the death, resource management
and life within the ants' nest await. Be careful, after starting this
fascinating game you may never look at things the same way again. It may
even force you to think twice before squishing 'em in the real world. You
never know.
++
From; Happy Puppy

Christies Computer Corner thanks to Christy;
<1stPicksoftware-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe>

turn your computer into a coffee machine:

http://www.pimprig.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=72

This idea came me one day when I realized 1) I drink a lot of
coffee and 2) I spend a lot of time at the computer.  I'd already
gone through several coffee pots when it suddenly struck me: why
not integrate a coffee maker into a computer case and get the
best of both worlds?  Thus began the search for The Caffeine
Machine.

~~~~~~~

Get rid of the pause that refreshes

In Windows when the contents of a folder are changed, such as
when you add or delete a file, the systems may take a few seconds
for the system to update the screen. To update the screen
manually you can
press F5 on your keyboard to force an update after you've made
changes.

Or you can try this Registry tweak. In the Registry Editor
(regedit), go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Update. Under
the Edit menu, select New and DWORD Value. Right-click on this
new value and select Rename. Type "UpdateMode" and press Enter.
(If the value already exists, you don't have to create it again.
Just double-click it and edit it to make the last two digits
"00".)

Restart Windows and from then on your screen should refresh
itself quicker and without you having to prompt it.

~&~&~&~&~&~&~

Remember:  Before making Any registry change either suggested by
us or anyone else, Backup your registry!  One wrong move in the
registry could render windows inoperable!   With a current backup
you can restore your registry to its previous condition before
you made the change.  Backing up is a simple procedure that takes
seconds and can save you hours of work later if you make a
mistake.

To backup the registry in win95/98/98se:
http://1stpick.org/pctips/registry.shtml#win9x

To backup the registry in winME:
http://1stpick.org/pctips/registry.shtml#winme

To backup the registry in win2K:
http://1stpick.org/pctips/registry.shtml#win2k

To backup the registry in winXP:
http://1stpick.org/pctips/registry.shtml#winxp

Was this forwarded to you ?
Get your own subscription here:
<1stpickPCtips-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe>

Antivirus software is a good choice to scan your system for possible viruses,
however no virus scanner is 100% effective as manufactures cannot keep up with
the rapid change of viruses that happens daily.
Be sure to update yours regularly.
http://www.hackfix.org/software/antivirus.html
Please feel free, to offer constructive criticism, as that will help me keep it
interesting.
I also welcome any submissions about new products, web pages, or articles of
interest.

All submissions posted in MWN will be given proper credit.
"MikesWhatsNews" believes in giving credit where credit is due but at times
deadlines and information that is very important to readers we accidentally
misspost an item.

If you believe something to be miscredited, or you know the author of one of
the articles which we have posted as 'unknown', please do let us know so we can
correct the information where applicable.

Many times in a article you may see a click here for more information, or to go
to a link, these often will not work, as the original information, was taken
from a page with HTML links. This is when you will want to go to the webpage
indicated in the article, ++ ,for 'the rest of the story'
***MfM*** indicates that I am adding my own information to a particular
article.
                         `~*~*~*~*~*~`
Mike ~It's a good day if I learned something new.
You can read a sample of my newsletter on my web page http://www.mwn.ca
My virus pages ~ http://virusinfo.hackfix.org
mytech@xxxxxxxxxxx
~*~*~*~*~
Was this forwarded to you? Want to subscribe? Send an email
to mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe.

to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject line of "info mikeswhatsnews" without
the quotes.

If you wish to unsubscribe from our list send an email to
mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=unsubscribe

mikeswhatsnews-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                              ~*~*~*~*~