[MikesWhatsNews] MWN #564

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mikeswhatsnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 16:59:22 -0700

MikesWhatsNews, 02, 10, 2002
in today's issue #564
How Wireless Internet Works
Crazy Taxi
MS FrontPage Flaw Allows Attackers To Get In
Secret Service Probes Wireless Networks
Mp3 Tutorial
The Rosenthal Utilities
Tina's FrontPage Tips
CCC     StartStop
           Mouse Pads

How Wireless Internet Works -
  http://www.howstuffworks.com/wireless-internet.htm
  The wireless Internet lets you browse Web pages from a cell
  phone or PDA. Learn about the Wireless Application Protocol that
  makes it possible to surf on the go.
From; How Stuff Works

Crazy Taxi ~ demo
http://games.tucows.com/download/preview/282250.html
Windows 95/98/NT/2K/Me/XP
A wild 3D arcade racer that places you as a taxi driver who picks up and
delivers clients for points.

MS FrontPage flaw allows attackers to get in ~ September 30, 2002
http://www.pcflank.com/news300902.htm
Microsoft warned Web site administrators on that a new flaw in its FrontPage
extensions could allow an attacker to attackers to seize control of Web
servers or crash the system.

Microsoft issued an advisory and a patch for the problem Wednesday.

According to the advisory the vulnerability is in the SmartHTML Interpreter
in FPSE 2000 and 2002 and involves the way the interpreter handles requests
for some Web files. The interpreter is designed to provide support for Web
forms and other dynamic Web content.

In FPSE 2000, a malformed request would could cause most CPU usage to be
consumed until the Web service is restarted.. For FrontPage Server
Extensions 2002, the flaw could result in a buffer overrun and allow an
attacker to run any code on the machine.

Microsoft categorized the security hole as 'critical' on Internet servers,
'moderate' for intranet servers and 'no threat' to client systems.

Microsoft advised website administrators to apply the available patch;
<http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/securit
y/bulletin/MS02-053.asp>
 or to ensure that the SmartHTML Interpreter is not available on the server
by using the IIS Lockdown Tool, a security application that disables many of
the potentially dangerous functions in the IIS web server.

FrontPage Server Extensions are installed by default on IIS (Internet
Information Services) versions 4.0, 5.0, and 5.1.

Secret Service Probes Wireless Networks
http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/industry/09/30/bc.wirelesssecurity.ap/index.html

Agency lends tech expertise to hospitals, businesses
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Secret Service agents are putting a high-tech twist on
the idea of a cop walking the beat. Using a laptop computer and an antenna
fashioned from a Pringles potato chip can, they are looking for security
holes in wireless networks in the nation's capital.

The agency best known for protecting the president and chasing down
counterfeiters has started addressing what it calls one of the most
overlooked threats to computer networks.

"Everybody wants wireless, it's real convenient," Special Agent Wayne
Peterson said. "Security has always been an afterthought."

The effort is part of a new government plan to build relationships with
businesses so that they will feel more comfortable reporting hacking
attempts to authorities. Recent anti-terrorism legislation gave the FBI and
Secret Service joint jurisdiction over electronic crimes.
++
submitted by; Christy

Mp3 Tutorial
http://www.mp3newswire.net/
This site offers a tutorial on getting started with
downloaded music, as well as detailed reviews of new
players and links to sites that still offer free
music downloads.
thanks to; Christy

The Rosenthal Utilities
http://slonet.org/~doren/
Rosenthal UnInstall (?) automatically removes unwanted Windows and DOS
programs, files, directories and restore the system's AUTOEXEC.BAT,
CONFIG.SYS, WIN.INI, SYSTEM.INI and registry files (user.dat and
system.dat). Now runs under DOS and all versions of Windows, including
Win95/98. Run Rosenthal UnInstall before you add anything new to your
system. New programs can then be added and, at your option, kept, or deleted
and the system completely returned to normal.

Tina's FrontPage Tips, by Tina Clarke

VALIDATE YOUR CODE
In Opera 6.01
Load your page in the browser
Right-click, choose Frame | Validate Source.
This will upload the page to the W3C HTML
validator and returns the results to you in your
browser window.

AccessFP ~ FrontPage Resource Centre
Site ~  http://www.accessfp.net/
Ezine & Forums ~ http://anyfrontpage.com/  FREE FP E-Books

Christies Computer Corner thanks to Christy;
<1stPicksoftware-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe>

StartStop
http://www.tfi-technology.com/startstop/default.htm
Freware
Windows 95, 98, Me, NT, and 2000

Tired of waiting for your computer to start? When Windows is
starting it can load many programs that you might not  need. Some
of these are not even visible to you and just work in the
background even if you don't need them.  StartStop lets you
control which programs will start and change your configuration
each time your computer boots. With StartStop you can stop
programs being run or get StartStop to ask you if a particular
program should be loaded.   Each time your computer starts you
get the option to change your current settings or just let
StartStop apply your default preferences.
~~~~~~~

Mouse Pads

Mouse pads differ in the way they look and feel with different
textures and graphics.  Some use them regularly others don't
bother,  but the question is do we really need the home for your
mouse?

A mouse pad provides a smooth surface for moving the mouse on
your desk. A mouse pad also reduces the amount of dirt that
enters the mouse and protects your desk from scratches. Hard
plastic mouse pads attract less dirt and provide a smoother
surface than fabric mouse pads.
Was this forwarded to you ?
Get your own subscription here:
<1stpickPCtips-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe>

Antivirus software is a good choice to scan your system for possible viruses,
however no virus scanner is 100% effective as manufactures cannot keep up with
the rapid change of viruses that happens daily.
Be sure to update yours regularly.
http://www.hackfix.org/software/antivirus.html
Please feel free, to offer constructive criticism, as that will help me keep it
interesting.
I also welcome any submissions about new products, web pages, or articles of
interest.

All submissions posted in MWN will be given proper credit.
"MikesWhatsNews" believes in giving credit where credit is due but at times
deadlines and information that is very important to readers we accidentally
misspost an item.

If you believe something to be miscredited, or you know the author of one of
the articles which we have posted as 'unknown', please do let us know so we can
correct the information where applicable.

Many times in a article you may see a click here for more information, or to go
to a link, these often will not work, as the original information, was taken
from a page with HTML links. This is when you will want to go to the webpage
indicated in the article, ++ ,for 'the rest of the story'
***MfM*** indicates that I am adding my own information to a particular
article.
                         `~*~*~*~*~*~`
Mike ~It's a good day if I learned something new.
You can read a sample of my newsletter on my web page http://www.mwn.ca
My virus pages ~ http://virusinfo.hackfix.org
mytech@xxxxxxxxxxx
~*~*~*~*~
Was this forwarded to you? Want to subscribe? Send an email
to mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe.

to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject line of "info mikeswhatsnews" without
the quotes.

If you wish to unsubscribe from our list send an email to
mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=unsubscribe

mikeswhatsnews-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                              ~*~*~*~*~