[MikesWhatsNews] MWN #499a

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mikeswhatsnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 17:48:13 -0700

MikesWhatsNews, 23, 05, 2002
in today's issue #499a
X-Cleaner
Radlight Unistalls Ad-aware
How Facial Recognition Systems Work
AutoPreview Outlook Messages
New Hotmail settings might share your info
SpamWeasel
eCleaner
Super Bubble Pop 1.0
Tina's FrontPage Tips
CCC      yBook
        Win 98 Replacing Your Registry With The Backup Copy

X-Cleaner  Press Release
A new version of X-Cleaner has been released, which detects a new
range of spyware programs.  In light of the recent increase of spyware
activity, we recommend everybody to upgrade their copy as soon as
possible.

If you purchased X-Cleaner already, access the members section here:
    http://www.xblock.com/members.shtml
If not:
  the new freeware version is available at:
    http://www.xblock.com/freeware
  to obtain a full version, go to:
    http://www.xblock.com/register

Radlight Unistalls Ad-aware
http://www.lavasoft.nu/latest.html
Reclaim your right - RADLIGHT silently uninstalls Ad-aware

After we received reports from concerned users, saying that after
the installation of Radlight 3.03R5 Ad-aware has
been removed from their systems, we have performed several tests
that have proven this information to be correct.

We hereby confirm, that upon execution, the Radlight software
indeed tries to silently uninstall all Ad-aware components.

All files that are not currently in use, including desktop and start
menu items will be removed.

Until now, such malicious activities where commonly known for
viruses and Trojans.

There is absolutely no warning for the user, neither in their license
agreement, nor on their website, that their
Radlight software 3.03 R5 (which comes bundled with WhenU's
SaveNow and New.net),
silently uninstalls Ad-aware or other privacy software.
++

How Facial Recognition Systems Work
  http://www.howstuffworks.com/facial-recognition.htm
  Facial recognition systems are being tested in Boston's Logan

  Airport, where two of the 9/11 hijackings originated. Learn how
  this software turns a crowded airport into a virtual line-up.
From; What's New at HowStuffWorks!
http://www.howstuffworks.com

AutoPreview Outlook Messages

Do you tend to receive multiple messages with the same
subject (for example, 10 responses to a survey)? You can
identify one from the next at a glance. Select View,
AutoPreview, and the first three lines of each message
appear in the message list of the currently-active folder.
If and when you want to turn AutoPreview off, follow the
same steps.

- Valerie Ryan

Valerie Ryan is a freelance writer and mother of two.
Her Windows articles and tips have appeared in numerous print
and online publications, including PC World magazine and PC
World Online.
From; EMAZING.com ~ Office XP Tip of the Day
http://www.emazing.com/xpoffice.jsp

'Soft Talk: New Hotmail settings might share your info, addresses
by Cydney Gillis
http://www.eastsidejournal.com/92308.html
MSN and Hotmail keep giving Microsoft Corp. headaches and
embarrassment.

The latest is a doozy. Yesterday an irate reader tipped me off
to the fact that Microsoft has changed the privacy settings for Hotmail.

What that means for subscribers to Microsoft's Internet service
and millions more who use its free Hotmail e-mail service is that
the company can share a Hotmail address with its partner Web
sites.

In short, if you are already signed up for and use Hotmail,
Microsoft has given itself the right to share your e-mail address
and other data with outside companies -- even if you explicitly
told Microsoft not to do so when you signed up.
++
submitted by; Christy

SpamWeasel  ~  freeware
http://www.webattack.com/Freeware/comm/fwspam.shtml
9x/NT/ME/2K/
gets rid of spam before it arrives in your inbox.
It acts as a local POP server that filters spam according to both
objective and personal criteria. It can delete or archive it while
placing an optional warning notice on any suspected spam mail
it allows through to your mailbox. When suspect spam mail is
marked for rejection, you can delete it directly at the ISP even
before it reaches your mailbox.
Alternatively, Archive Viewing allows you to collect and divert
unwanted mail away from your active mailbox and action or
delete it at leisure. The program arrives preconfigured for
many common spammers and uses flexible rules to identify
spam while permitting a range of user-defined actions including
passing, blocking, labeling, deleting, archiving, viewing sorting
and re-delivery and works with any client. SpamWeasel supports
multiple POP accounts.
++

eCleaner ~ free
http://www.pccontrolanywhere.com/ecleaner/
Win 95/98 /NT
Tired of clearing your personal Internet history and other folders?
eCleaner can do all of that, fast. eCleaner allows you to erase your
Internet Explorer History, Temporary Internet files, Cookies, Typed
URLs in the address bar and more. eCleaner can also sit in your
System Tray to allow fast history removal.
Download eCleaner now!
++

Super Bubble Pop 1.0
http://www.vnunet.com/Download/1131144
A fast-paced, Tetris-inspired game.
Win 98/2000/ME/XP
Type FUNCTION LIMITED DEMO
Super Bubble Pop aims to take the title of 'most addictive game ever'
away from Tetris, and with its 3D graphics and great gameplay, this
might not prove too difficult.
Choose your character (or 'DJ popper') from those on offer and head
for the action. You are presented with a grid containing several
coloured bubbles and a 'bubble creation tube'. You stand at the front
of the grid and have to throw the bubbles dispensed from the bubble
creation tube onto the grid.
++

Tina's FrontPage Tips, by Tina Clarke

Thumbnail button

My thumbnail button was greyed out and I could not get it to
work. All I had to do was have a LARGE graphic selected,
then the thumbnail button (under tools) becomes active, if
your graphic has already been reduced it remains greyed out.
To make a thumbnail.
1    Select the image.
2    On the Pictures toolbar, choose Auto Thumbnail.

FrontPage creates the thumbnail image, inserts it in place
of the larger image, and creates a hyperlink to the
full-sized image from the thumbnail image.

AccessFP - FrontPage Resource Centre
Site -  http://www.accessfp.net/
Ezine & Forums - http://anyfrontpage.com/  FREE FP E-Books

Christies Computer Corner thanks to Christy;
<1stPicksoftware-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=3Dsubscribe>

yBook
http://members.iinet.net.au/~simonh/spacejock/yBook.html
Freeware
Windows 95 or above.
This reader was designed to emulate a paperback novel on your
computer screen. It's a very clean, easy-to-use e-book viewer.
yBook is a freeware ebook reader which will load text files and
display the contents on side-by-side pages just like an open
book. (Supports TXT, TEXT, HTML and RTF files) You can resize the
book, adjust the margins, change the text and paper colours and

search for words or phrases.
~~~~~~~

Win 98 Replacing Your Registry With The Backup Copy

You can 'go back' to one of the past 5 clean boots,
stored by scandisk;

Here are the instructions From Win 98se 'help';

"Replacing your registry with the backup copy

Your system always keeps a backup copy of your registry
configuration (including user account information, protocol
bindings, software program settings, and user preferences).
You can use the backup copy if your current registry encounters
a problem. Each time you restart your computer, Registry
Checker automatically scans your registry. If Registry Checker
notices a problem, it automatically replaces the registry with
the backup copy.

HYPER LINK <Click here> to start Registry Checker.

Notes

You can also start Registry Checker by clicking Start, pointing
to Programs, pointing to Accessories, pointing to System Tools,
clicking System Information, and on the Tools menu, clicking
Registry Checker. "
~~~
"Replacing your registry with the backup copy"

At the C:\ prompt, type in without quotes;

"scanreg \restore"

There is a space between scanreg and the \

Be sure to back up your registry before making any changes!
Click Start, and select Run, then type in MSCONFIG and click OK.
In the 'General' tag, click 'Create Backup'.

Was this forwarded to you ?
Get your own subscription here:
<1stpickPCtips-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=3Dsubscribe>

Antivirus software is a good choice to scan your system for possible
viruses, however no virus scanner is 100% effective as manufactures
cannot keep up with the rapid change of viruses that happens daily.
Be sure to update yours regularly.
http://www.hackfix.org/software/antivirus.html

Please feel free, to offer constructive criticism, as that will help me=
 keep
it interesting.
I also welcome any submissions about new products, web pages, or
articles of interest.

All submissions posted in the newsletter will be given proper credit.
"MikesWhatsNews" believes in giving credit where credit is due but at
times deadlines and information that is very important to readers we
accidentally misspost an item.
If you believe something to be miscredited, or you know the author of
one of the articles which we have posted as 'unknown', please do let us
know so we can correct the information where applicable.

Many times in a article you may see a click here for more information,
or to go to a link, these often will not work, as the original information,
was taken from a page with HTML links.
This is when you will want to go to the webpage indicated in the article,
++ ,for 'the rest of the story'
***MfM*** indicates that I am adding my own information to a
                  particular article.
Mike ~It's a good day if I learned something new.
<mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=3Dsubscribe>
You can read a sample of my newsletter on my web page
http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/
My virus pages http://virusinfo.hackfix.org
mytech@xxxxxxxxxxx

~*~*~*~*~
Was this forwarded to you? Want to subscribe? Send an email
to mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe.

to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject line of "info mikeswhatsnews" without
the quotes.

If you wish to unsubscribe from our list send an email to
mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=unsubscribe

mikeswhatsnews-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
~*~*~*~*~