[MikesWhatsNews] MWN #486

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mikeswhatsnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 05 May 2002 17:04:11 -0700

MikesWhatsNews, 06, 05, 2002
in today's issue #486
New HackFix site; Klez ~ Am I Infected
DriversTest.net
Wristwatch PDA Goes On Sale
Aces High  demo
Remove Windows Messenger From Internet Explorer
Driver Detective  Version 2.0
Microsoft MS Backup in ME
OpenOffice.org 1.0
Tina's FrontPage Tips
CCC  Beat Greets
        Anti Virus Testing

New HackFix site; Klez ~ am I infected?
http://www.hackfix.org/klez.html
Find the symptoms, and on the bottom of the page,
the reference links to removal.

 DriversTest.net
http://www.driverstest.net/index.html
This site was created to assist you in your pursuit of a drivers' license,
a motorcycle license or CDL. Each section contains practice questions
that will help you prepare for your test.

Beyond the practice driving tests, we offer a monthly newsletter with
important information targeted to the rookie driver.
The Examiner won=92t help you pass your test, but it will make you a
better driver and better consumer.
Previous editions are located in our archives.
++

Wristwatch PDA Goes On Sale
By Nick Farrell [01-05-2002]
http://nl12.vnunet.com/News/1131391
It tells the time too
The first wristwatch-style PDA has gone on sale in the US, targeted at
fashion conscious and tech savvy young users with $140 to spare.
Although there is little new in the technology of the Wrist PDA, which
is made by watchmaker Fossil, it is the first time that a non-technical
company has entered this market.

The Wrist is a Palm-compatible device displaying contacts, a to-do list,
appointments and other information. But at the moment it still has to
connect to a conventional PDA to collect its information.

It has 190Kb of memory, the equivalent of 1,100 contacts,
800 appointments, 5,000 to-do notes or 350 memos.

The Wrist PDA can be plugged into Palm OS devices like the m500,
the Handspring Visor or the Sony Clie, and Fossil has plans to sell
a Pocket PC-compatible model later this year.

Oh, and it tells the time too.

Aces High  demo
http://www.hitechcreations.com/
Aces High takes the art and science of vintage WWII air combat and sets
it in an online high intensity environment where hundreds of players can
battle it out with and against each other.  High fidelity air combat is the
heart of Aces High, but it doesn't end there.  In addition to flying a
multitude of aircraft types, players can also man vehicles, boats, amphibs,
gun batteries, and ships.  It's the most diverse virtual arsenal available=
players in this genre and it's constantly growing through frequent updates.
In the air, on land, and at sea, the battle rages 24 hours a day with
participants from around the world.

It sounds good but how much will it cost you to find out for yourself?
Absolutely nothing.  We believe in the quality of our product and service
so much that we offer it to new users at no initial cost, no risk, and no
obligation.  The download is free and deceptively small.  Once you've
installed the software, you can create an account and try the service for
two weeks free.  You do not have to give us a credit card number or send
payment to take advantage of the trial period.  If at the end of the trial
period you decide not to subscribe, there is nothing to cancel.  You can
continue to use your account with our free 8-person multiplayer option
without ever paying us a cent.  It's that simple, it's that good of a deal.
++

Remove Windows Messenger From Internet Explorer (All Versions)
This tweak can be used to remove the integration of Windows Messenger
into Internet Explorer.
It will remove both the toolbar icon and Tools menu item.
From; Windows Registry Guide Update from WinGuides.com
http://www.winguides.com/registry/

Driver Detective  Version 2.0
http://www.drivershq.com/dd/ddtechrepublic.html
 Drivers HeadQuarters has written  Driver Detective  to make updating
your drivers', dlls' and vxds' simple and easy.
You can view all the current information from one screen and determine
file, name, and version, etc. which when updating is the key to finding
new and up to date information to download to your system.

After determining the driver, dll, or vxd  you wish to update click on
=93Update Driver=94 and the program will take you to Drivers HeadQuarters
so you can find the most current up to date driver information for your
 system.
What Do I Need to Use Driver Detective?
You must have Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows ME,
Windows XP or Windows NT.
How Do I Install?

The EXE you have downloaded is a self extracting zip file.
If you saved it on your desktop, you should see it's icon on the desktop.
If you saved it in a temporary folder, open that folder.
Double click the program, it is called dd32v20.exe.
This will extract the installation files and begin the setup program.
Setup should take a few seconds and will walk you through from there.
++

Installing MS Backup in Win ME

Do you have Microsoft MS Backup?
You may have it on your Windows CD, it can be installed as an option.

Put the Windows CD in, cancel the install/auto run.
Then go to My Computer and right click on the CD rom drive.
In the text box click on  Explorer and go to the ADD-ONS\MSBackup\ folder
on the Windows Me CD.
Double-click on the msbexp.exe file to install MS Backup.
The shortcut to MS Backup can be found in;
Programs>  Accessories> System Tools

OpenOffice.org 1.0 ~ free
http://www.openoffice.org/
OpenOffice.org: Mission Statement
To create, as a community, the leading international office suite that
will run on all major platforms and provide access to all functionality
and data through open-component based APIs and an XML~based file
format.

In Windows, Linux, Solaris.
OpenOffice.org 1.0 is available in many languages.
 ++

Tina's FrontPage Tips, by Tina Clarke

Getting rid of unwanted Graphics

Go to 'Hyperlinks View' If 'Folder List' is not open go to
'View' and click the 'Folder List' icon.

Note: All graphics should be saved in the Images folder.

Double click the Images folder to open it and start with the
first graphic select it and on the right you will see either
blue lines leading from the graphic or none at all.  If it
has blue lines then it's linked to something on your website
if there are none then it's truly an orphan graphic and not
being used.

If you want to save the graphics for use at a later time
just open up another instance of FrontPage and drag the file
over the icon of the other FrontPage application in the
status bar at the bottom of your screen, it will open up and
you can just drop it into a website you made earlier I do
this and call mine storehouse.  You then need to delete the
graphic in the web your checking.  You can check if it's a
graphic you want to keep by double clicking the graphic in
the right hand pane and your image editor should bring up
the graphic for your preview.

If you don't want to keep it just right click to delete it.

Work your way down the list of graphics.  When you have
finished go to Tools | Recalculate Hyperlinks as your web
needs to know where everything is now.

AccessFP - FrontPage Resource Centre
Site -  http://www.accessfp.net/
Ezine & Forums - http://anyfrontpage.com/  FREE FP E-Books

Christies Computer Corner thanks to Christy;
<1stPicksites-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=3Dsubscribe>

Beat Greets

http://www.beatgreets.com

It would probably cost a fortune to hire N'Sync, Faith Hill, or
Jewel to deliver a singing telegram. But Beat Greets gives you
the chance to send e-cards featuring snippets of music from
popular artists along with creative animated images and, of
course, a personal message from you -- for no cost at all! Search
the site by artist or sentiment to find just the right musical
message for the occasion.
~~~~~~~

Anti Virus Testing
Using a virus test file such as the Eicar test helps users make sure
their antivirus program is running properly.
However the test string you provided only verifies program type files.
If you visit http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm you can
learn more about the eicar tests for antivirus programs.
You can also download the file in 4 different formats

Eicar.com   Testing program file abilities
Eicar.com.txt  Testing double extension abilities
(such as the newest worms lately)
Eicar_com.zip  testing compressed file abilities
Eicarcom2.zip  testing the ability to scan inside a double compressed file
(this file contains eicar_com.zip Inside eicarcom2.zip)

These files can be used As is or renamed as desired
(to verify the program isn't picking up the file Name)

Any Reliable antivirus program should be able to detect all four
of these files if configured properly.

Was this forwarded to you ?
Get your own subscription here:
<1stpickPCtips-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=3Dsubscribe>

Antivirus software is a good choice to scan your system for possible
viruses, however no virus scanner is 100% effective as manufactures
cannot keep up with the rapid change of viruses that happens daily.
Be sure to update yours regularly.
http://www.hackfix.org/software/antivirus.html

Please feel free, to offer constructive criticism, as that will help me=
 keep
it interesting.
I also welcome any submissions about new products, web pages, or
articles of interest.

All submissions posted in the newsletter will be given proper credit.
"MikesWhatsNews" believes in giving credit where credit is due but at
times deadlines and information that is very important to readers we
accidentally misspost an item.
If you believe something to be miscredited, or you know the author of
one of the articles which we have posted as 'unknown', please do let us
know so we can correct the information where applicable.

Many times in a article you may see a click here for more information,
or to go to a link, these often will not work, as the original information,
was taken from a page with HTML links.
This is when you will want to go to the webpage indicated in the article,
++ ,for 'the rest of the story'
***MfM*** indicates that I am adding my own information to a
                  particular article.
Mike ~It's a good day if I learned something new.
<mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=3Dsubscribe>
You can read a sample of my newsletter on my web page
http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/
My virus pages http://virusinfo.hackfix.org
mytech@xxxxxxxxxxx

~*~*~*~*~
Was this forwarded to you? Want to subscribe? Send an email
to mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe.

to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject line of "info mikeswhatsnews" without
the quotes.

If you wish to unsubscribe from our list send an email to
mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=unsubscribe

mikeswhatsnews-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
~*~*~*~*~