[MoGeo] Hello

  • From: Glenn <Glenn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: MGA@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 19:58:59 -0500

Since we are starting to get a few listers here now I would like to say HI and welcome to everyone that is here.

The propose of this list is mainly to discuss larger statewide types of geocaching issues.

Some things I have been interested in are...

  • Viewpoints of the land managers about their current land use plans and how geocaching fits into their plans.
  • How do park systems look at new activities like geocaching when they start thinking about officially recognizing an activity.
  • How geocaching is affecting their managed areas.
  • What the geocaching community can do to improve the state of affairs here.
Since this is a very small group at this time (just a few actually), I think we can be a little looser with the format.

I guess by now most all of us have seen the Missouri Geocachers Assoc. website.  //www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/webpage?webpage_id=mga I think it is going to be an important document in the future. I do not plan for it to compete with any of the fine local websites but rather enhance some of the information and provide a single place where land managers and other officials can go to get the one-stop scoop on what is going on in Missouri.

I can imagine that if I were new to the area or was trying to do a little digging on geocaching here it was a little confusing. We have a few local groups but no one each with a site or two but no place for anyone to get  some general information.

The site lists the regions that have regulations and links to those regs.  As more and more land managers get into thinking about geocaching on their lands, I think this will be a valuable resource for them as well as the geocacher looking to place a cache.

The Missouri Geocachers site also lists how to get in contact with the states local groups. There is also a bit of explanation of the Cache Rescue program. It has already been used to save a few caches and to retrieve an abandoned cache.

If there is anything that anyone would like to see there drop me a note.

I know that the link to the jeff city regs page quit working again.  That is a funny one. It works for a while then it quits. I replace it with the identical link and it worked for a while then quit working . I'll keep working on it.    Ooops, i tried it just now... and it works again!!  Funny stuff this internet is. :-)

Thanks for tuning in, I hope we can make some sort of difference here.

Glenn
Glenn