[meetyeti] acoustic engineer required for IFP

  • From: YETI <meet.yeti@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: meetyeti@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 06:55:04 -0500

Please respond directly to IFP

for YETI
Robin

To unsubscribe to the mailing list:
a. visit //www.freelists.org/list/meetyeti (you can also invite your friends to join this list with this link)
or
b. send email to meetyeti-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with “unsubscribe” in the Subject

Begin forwarded message:

From: ComDirIFP <ifpcom@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: May 19, 2011 6:52:18 AM CDT
Subject: Re: Fwd: meetyeti: ifpcom@xxxxxxxxxxxx post needs approval

Dear Mr. Robin,

We would be grateful to you for relaying the following job announcement to your networks.

Sincerely,

Anand Pakiam
--
Anand PAKIAM
Communications in-charge

Acoustic Engineer to test the prototype of a meteorological instrument

Position: Acoustic Engineer

Project: Meteorology and Climatology at the French Institute of Pondicherry.

Background:

The department of Ecology of the French Institute of Pondicherry (IFP, www.ifpindia.org), situated in Pondicherry, India, is working on disciplines as diverse as Ecology, Spatial analyses and Climatology. It wishes to install a new meteorological station at the IFP, and to test new meteorological instruments. In particular, a new instrument based on two licenses (French brevets) has been proposed to measure rainfall field on the basis of its sounds. The present offer aims at installing and testing the first prototype of this instrument. The IFP meteorological station and an additional rain gauge network will be used as a reference for the new instrument.

This work implies, in addition to the physical installation, to carefully prepare the experimental design and protocol to collect and analyze data, in order to highlight specificities, advantages and limits of the proposed instrument. As it is mainly an acoustic instrument, data analyses would involve using a dedicated software to characterize acoustic patterns recorded, and possibly to use new analytical tools (such as wavelet transform for example). The last task of this offer is to publish the work in a dedicated scientific journal (with the help of the supervisor, the Head of the IFP Ecology department).

Mission:

The engineer will work on several tasks:

        Buy meteorological instruments and associated software.

        Manage the installation of the IFP meteorological station.

        Build the acoustic instruments, and the associated rain gauge network.

        Collect and analyze data during the rainy season.

        Write and publish a scientific paper describing our findings in collaboration with the supervisor.

Skills Required:

        Acoustic knowledge.

        Signal processing (non stationary processes).

        Meteorology and Climatology.

        English is essential.

Remuneration:

Based on work experience and educational qualification. To be started early July, 6 months duration. Based in Pondicherry town.

Contact:

For further practical information about this offer, please contact:

ifpcom@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Anand PAKIAM
Communications in-charge
French Institute of Pondicherry
UMIFRE 21 CNRS-MAEE / USR 3330
11, St.Louis Street
P.B. 33 PONDICHERRY,INDIA
Phone: (91- 0413) 2334168 (Ext. 131)
E-mail: ifpcom@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Website: www.ifpindia.org

On 5/19/2011 5:17 PM, YETI wrote:
Hi,

I think someone was trying to send a message to the YETI list. If you send me the message, I can forward to the list. The list currently does not allow direct posting.

Thanks

Robin
for YETI