[mchFree] [MCH] Digest Number 1710

  • From: "Mike the mod" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 10:29:15 -0700

           From: Rakesh Tewary <rtewary@xxxxxxxxx>
           From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
           From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
           From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
           From: Steve Eisenberg <chobersdeert@xxxxxxxxx>
           From: Steve Eisenberg <chobersdeert@xxxxxxxxx>
           From: Murray White <phymur@xxxxxxxxxx>
           From: "Pamela B." <caiobellanotte@xxxxxxxxx>
           From: "Phyllis Christian" <webbot@xxxxxxxxxx>
     10. DSL Upgrade Info
           From: "Rich S" <heavy_60538@xxxxxxxxx>

Message: 1
   Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2006 18:40:10 +0530
   From: Rakesh Tewary <rtewary@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Computer not starting normally.

Hello Foo,

Many thanks for your advice.

The PC is 2 years old. If by scandisk you mean Disk Cleanup yes, I do it
twice a month. Defrag is also done twice a month.  Anti-virus updates
are checked daily and the scans I do every week. I am quite particular
about this.

Warm regards,
Ricky.

============================================================================================================

foofaraw in the middle wrote:

> How old is your PC? Have you done a scandisk lately? If not, why don't
> you do that. Clean up your hard drive (discard temp, unneeded files &
> proggies). While you're at it, do a defrag too.
>

> */Rakesh Tewary <rtewary@xxxxxxxxx>/* wrote:
>
>     Hello everybody,
>
>     Using a P4, 2.0, 512 RAM with Win XP Pro SP2.
>
>     Yesterday, when I started my machine (first time in the day) it
>     just stopped working before the welcome page came up. I waited for
>     an hour and started again and it worked fine for the rest of the
>     day. Today, this event reoccurred but this time I waited for only
>     a minute before restarting the machine. It is working fine -
>     atleast I think it is! What could be the reason for this
>     malfunction? I do get a strange sound when starting up the machine
>     first time in the day so could it be the power supply unit causing
>     this problem? Please help me out.
>
>     Also, I went to Event Viewer hoping to include the event in this
>     mail to help in the prognosis but my Event Viewer -> Application
>     has entries only upto 11/30/2005. Similarly, the Event Viewer ->
>     System has entries only upto 11/13/2005. What should I do so that
>     the entries are uptodate?
>     (The Event Viewer -> Antivirus has uptodate entries till 4/1/2006
>     whereas the Event Viewer -> Security page says 'There are no items
>     to show in this view').
>
>     Interesting!!! :-) Some 16 entries at the bottom of the Event
>     Viewer -> System page are dated 1970 (I didnot know what a
>     computer was then!) and 10 are dated 2033 (I wont be around till
>     then!).
>
>     Many thanks in advance.
>
>     Warm regards,
>     Ricky.

Message: 2
   Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 09:53:49 -0700 (PDT)
   From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>

I think this article will explain better how to execute Scandisk:
http://www.duxcw.com/faq/win/xp/scandisk.htm

Rakesh Tewary <rtewary@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:    Hello Foo,

  *Rakesh Tewary wrote:

[...]

  Ricky

My Computer Headaches Forums
http://mycomputerheadaches.tz4.com
The latest addition to MCH family (Free, requires registration)

My Computer Headaches Yahoogroup
.... celebrating its 3rd Year Anniversary.

---------------------------------
New Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Call regular phones from your PC and save
big.

[This message contained attachments]

Message: 3
   Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 10:52:59 -0700 (PDT)
   From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Lightening Strike Last Week

Pam, this thread might be able to give you some hints:
http://shorterlink.com/?ACCD9F

Are you asking us what cheap alternative speakers we can suggest to you?
Just go to MicroCenter on Elston in Chicago. They have a lot of cheap nice
speakers.

caiobellanotte <caiobellanotte@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Hit the tv antenna, minimal damage to inside.
No computer loss except the ethernet card and damage to speakers.
what I would like to know before I close my claim is could there be other
damage that is not showing up now.  Also, the computer is a Dell windows
2002 xp. I heard a noise that I thought was the hard drive
whirring but it is the hum from the speakers. Right now they are just the
Karmon/Kardon? that came with the purchase. Could anyone suggest a bit
better replacement not expensive as the insurance co ( It begins with an A)
may not recompense.

sure hope it doesn't storm here in Wisconsin -- thank you all.

Pam
Kenosha

My Computer Headaches Forums
http://mycomputerheadaches.tz4.com
The latest addition to MCH family (Free, requires registration)

My Computer Headaches Yahoogroup
.... celebrating its 3rd Year Anniversary.

---------------------------------
countries) for 2¢/min or less.

[This message contained attachments]

Message: 4
   Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 11:08:04 -0700 (PDT)
   From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: activex

I would tend to agree with Paris. I was about to suggest looking at
SpywareBlaster but Paris beat me to it. :) But before you try disabling SB,
try disabling the protection given by SB first by unchecking all the items
in its settings. Just right click one item and choose the uncheck-all
option. Just remember to enable SB's protection though when you are done
viewing the website in question. Firefox, BTW, does not really use activeX.
Which is the reason why it is safer in that respect.

parisiengarcon <garconparisien@xxxxxxx> wrote:
    Hi Bill and others
  Have you considered that it may be anti-spyware software that is
preventing the installation of activeX controls. Some malaware exploit
activeX to do nasty things to computers. I have AOL broadband in the UK and
currently I can't use the AOL broadband radio, or AOL Spyware protection
and I wonder if these are controlled through activeX? But I am not too
worried about this. Ive had the same problem with viewpoint which is used
for AOL instant greetings and on some sites, but seemingly this can also
cause vulnerability.
  I do not care for activeX, which is also referred to as OLE renamed. OLE
means "Object Linking and Embedding". Potentionally any activeX control
downloaded may be a trojan or a virus, so I would look at anti-spyware, or
possibly anti-virus, software to see if this is blocking the use of
activeX. I know for example that Spyware Blaster prevents the installation
of ActiveX-based spyware, adware, browser hijackers, dialers, and other
potentially unwanted software.
  Good luck and regards
  Paris

--- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, John Lehn
<johnelehn2002@...> wrote:
  Hi Terry,
  thanks for that info. As I wrote, I know nothing about Firefox, but I was
aware that there are not many sites that actually need Active-X in any case.
  Cheers,
  John Lehn

  Terry Stockdale <terry@...> wrote:
  John & Bill, Active-X is a proprietary Microsoft technology. It's not in
any other browsers.
  There _is_ a Mozilla-based effort to do try to do some limited Active-X
things, but it appears to be an early work-in-progress.
  I, for one, don't want the security-challenged (that's a nice term)
Active-X anywhere near my Firefox.
  Of course, if you've felt left out because all your friends have been
bitten by spyware and adware and you haven't, then feel free to play with
ActiveX all you want to.
  You'll really have to use I.E. to do it, though.
  Terry

  At 08:47 PM 3/27/2006, you wrote:
  Hi Bill,
  Ooops, sorry Bill, I missed that.
  Don't anything about Firefox (except that cool movie by the same name,
starring Clint Eastwood).
  However, surely there must be a similar method in Firefox to block or
enable Active-X files.
  Are there any Firefox users here who can verify this??
  John Lehn

  Bill Vollmer <agent222@...> wrote:
  John: Thanks for the suggestion, but please re-read my original posting.
My preferred browser is Firefox. I try to avoid using M$IE.

  John Lehn wrote:
  Hi Bill,
  Perhaps your IE Security settings are blocking Active-X from working,
even though it IS installed.
  While in IE go:
  TOOLS > INTERNET OPTIONS > SECURITY > INTERNET CUSTOM LEVEL and drill
down to the "Active X Controls and Plug-ins" section and if it is blocked
you will readily see other options.
  HTH,
  John Lehn

  Bill Vollmer <agent222@...> wrote:

  I thought I'd investigate the new AOL "channel" in2tv, but to use some
content you need active x, (which I thought I already had in order for my
home page to work as currently designed.) I told Firefox to allow it to be
installed. Afterwards the window on in2tv says it's (active x) has been
successfully installed, but I need to restart Firefox, for the application
to finish installing. Afterwards, the same window tells I have to download
active x (again) in order to use in2tv. When I check to see what extensions
I have installed, active x is not listed. I "googled" active x for Firefox,
found what seems to be a beta for Firefox 1.5, tried installing that. It
doesn't show in the installed extensions window either. What gives?

My Computer Headaches Forums
http://mycomputerheadaches.tz4.com
The latest addition to MCH family (Free, requires registration)

My Computer Headaches Yahoogroup
.... celebrating its 3rd Year Anniversary.

---------------------------------
New Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Call regular phones from your PC for low,
low rates.

[This message contained attachments]

Message: 5
   Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 11:56:51 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Steve Eisenberg <chobersdeert@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Spelling correction

"Lightening" is what peroxide does to you hair. "Lightning" is what fries
your computer.

Brought to you @ no charge by:

Steve
NH

---------------------------------
countries) for 2¢/min or less.

[This message contained attachments]

Message: 6
   Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 12:01:24 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Steve Eisenberg <chobersdeert@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Spelling corecrtion

"You" s/b "your."

Tseve
NH

Steve Eisenberg <chobersdeert@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

"Lightening" is what peroxide does to you hair. "Lightning" is what fries
your computer.

Brought to you @ no charge by:

Steve
NH

                                                    Technical support
                                Computer security
            Computer technical support
                               Computer training
           Computer problems

---------------------------------

---------------------------------

[This message contained attachments]

Message: 7
   Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 17:35:45 -0400 (EDT)
   From: Murray White <phymur@xxxxxxxxxx>

could go into IE internet options advanced and reset to "defaults". The
other secutity default setting could be selected also as well as default on
the Programs tab in IE IO. If Spyware Blaster has selected an active X
control to block, it is unlikely that one should go around it and install
anyway whereas  customized setting in IE IO might be blocking an benign
Active X control.

  MW

<johnelehn2002@...> wrote:
[...]

Message: 8
   Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 15:37:06 -0700 (PDT)
   From: "Pamela B." <caiobellanotte@xxxxxxxxx>

Thanks, Foo.  I did some shopping over the weekend and they are sure some
great options out there for speakers.  I have to find out if they are
compatible with my 2002 system.  Thanks again for the reply.

foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:    Pam,
[...]

Ciao, Bella!!!!!

---------------------------------
New Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Call regular phones from your PC and save
big.

[This message contained attachments]

Message: 9
   Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 23:05:42 -0500
   From: "Phyllis Christian" <webbot@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Spelling correction

Grin..--Phyllis

> "Lightening" is what peroxide does to you hair. "Lightning" is what fries
> your computer.
>
> Brought to you @ no charge by:
>
> Steve
> NH
>

> ---------------------------------
> countries) for 2¢/min or less.

> http://www.eset.com

> http://www.eset.com

Message: 10
   Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 06:29:55 -0000
   From: "Rich S" <heavy_60538@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: DSL Upgrade Info

With the convergence of SBC and ATT, Sbc/Yahoo DSL Express can be
upgraded online to The Pro version for the rate of $17.99/monthly with
a one year deal.

Info posted in the MCH Bargain Bin here:

http://s11.invisionfree.com/SpunkyMcSpank/index.php?showtopic=292
OR
http://makeashorterlink.com/?Z5BC635EC

Rich S