[mchFree] [MCH] Digest Number 1708

  • From: "Mike the mod" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2006 10:25:34 -0800

There are 7 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

      1. Re: brownout vs. power supply
           From: "T. Hunt" <roversouth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      2. I'm a SPAMMER
           From: "T. Hunt" <roversouth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      3. Lightening Strike Last Week
           From: "caiobellanotte" <caiobellanotte@xxxxxxxxx>
      4. RE: I'm a SPAMMER
           From: "Mark Mucher" <mmucher@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      5. Re: I'm a SPAMMER
           From: "T. Hunt" <roversouth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      6. Re: winrar
           From: Estavi Meilu <estavi2@xxxxxxxxx>
      7. Re: I'm a SPAMMER
           From: Estavi Meilu <estavi2@xxxxxxxxx>

Message: 1
   Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 07:02:01 -0500
   From: "T. Hunt" <roversouth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: brownout vs. power supply

If the APC unit was a surge protector, the power supply would have been
underpowered for that period of time.  Surge protectors offer no under
voltage protection whatsoever.  This can put a strain on it and
sometimes cause problems.  However, if the APC unit is a UPS, then the
power supply shouldn't have been affected by the power sag.

There are more cheaply built power supplies out there than there are
good ones and it might have just failed, coincidentally to the power sag.

Even Fred Langa doesn't seem to know good from bad, as evidenced by a
recent article.

Tom

Bill Vollmer wrote:
> Today (Thursday) for the second time in two years, I have had to have my
> power supply replaced. The first time, I was fortunate to still be under
> an extended warranty. This time, I was lucky to have another power
> supply on hand. My nephew having swapped out one from his build it
> himself computer. I don't know what caused the power supply to fail last
> year. But this year, on Tuesday night, we experienced a brief power
> outage. This outage lasted less than a minute, in fact, I'd say thirty
> seconds, or less. That event is what my nephew, who has taken classes on
> computers in school, theorizes caused the power supply to fail.
>
> If that is true, I am completely at a loss to understand why. The
> computer is plugged into an APC device, and, it seems that the battery
> is at full strength. The APC device is plugged into a highly rated surge
> protector. So, with all of that, I don't understand how a brief loss of
> power, then a return of power, could cause the power supply to fail two
> days later. Could someone explain that to me? Thanks.

Message: 2
   Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 07:29:56 -0500
   From: "T. Hunt" <roversouth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: I'm a SPAMMER

I'll try to be brief.  I recently changed my DSL service from Earthlink
to Bellsouth, because I just couldn't deal with the 2 tiered tech
support anymore.  I was reluctant to change since Bellsouth is mostly
responsible for the delays and was the cause of most of the problems.
But, I figgered that dealing with one entity rather than 2 couldn't be
any worse...

I'm not so sure of that now.  Yesterday, my account with Bellsouth was
suspended.  I had no idea this had happened and it took about 2 hours on
the phone to find out the reason.  Bellsouth claims my computer is
sending SPAM. Well, that set me off on a quest to track down the cause.
  I'm fairly well protected but a bug could have gotten in so I scanned
everything, and reviewed the logs in the firewall (another good reason
to have a firewall with logging capability).  All this was after the
first hour I spent trying to figure out why I didn't seem to have any
internet connectivity as I had been reloading a system at the time.

Someone finally called yesterday evening around 5:30.  She kept
repeating that I was sending SPAM.  I assured her I wasn't; that the
traffic graphs showed nothing out of the ordinary in terms of traffic in
or out.  I then suggested that, if I still had internet access, she
could send me some of the emails and I would try to determine what they
were and where they came from.  She asked several more questions about
my alleged SPAM and I finally got her to tell me who some were addressed
to, since I told her that most SPAM is sent by a single entity to
multiple addresses (although not always).  She started reading a list of
email addresses and they were all Yahoo groups; MCH, WinTips-Tricks, etc.

I explained what those were and that I answered questions by email.  She
put me on hold to check something and, after 10 minutes, I hung up.  So
far, as of 7:20 this AM, I've heard nothing more.  I was pretty steamed
and I don't know who's the bigger screw-up, Bellsouth or Yahoo.  The day
I was suspended, I sent less than 20 emails, 10 of them to WinTips-Tricks.

So, I don't know. Out of the frying pan, into the fire.  Or, as my
grandmother used to say, the hurrier I go, the behinder I get.

No need for replies, just posting some info on a very trying day.

Tom

ps- I'll hit the fan now, for sure; I'm sending this to MCH AND WinTips
at the same time.  I'll probably be investigated by Congress...or major
league baseball.

Message: 3
   Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 02:31:32 -0000
   From: "caiobellanotte" <caiobellanotte@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Lightening Strike Last Week

Hit the tv antenna, minimal damage to inside.
No computer loss except the ethernet card and damage to speakers.
what I would like to know before I close my claim is could there be
other damage that is not showing up now.  Also, the computer is a Dell
windows 2002 xp. I heard a noise that I thought was the hard drive
whirring but it is the hum from the speakers. Right now they are just
the Karmon/Kardon? that came with the purchase. Could anyone suggest a
bit better replacement not expensive as the insurance co ( It begins
with an A) may not recompense.

sure hope it doesn't storm here in Wisconsin -- thank you all.

Pam
Kenosha

Message: 4
   Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 09:18:01 -0500
   From: "Mark Mucher" <mmucher@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: I'm a SPAMMER

Tom,

Pogo was your grandmother?

Mark

  _____

[...]

[This message contained attachments]

Message: 5
   Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 13:41:11 -0500
   From: "T. Hunt" <roversouth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Curious, I always thought of Pogo as male.  My grandfather, maybe?

Well, things seem to be cleared up for now.  I got a call from the
Bellsouth abuse dept. assuring me they had made a mistake and that it
should not happen again and that my service should be restored momentarily.

Happy to say, I seem to be back online.  So, we'll see how long it lasts.

Tom

Message: 6
   Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 21:11:33 -0800 (PST)
   From: Estavi Meilu <estavi2@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: winrar

Yes, Bill that is how my winrar works. Of course the
multiple rar files have to be "tied" (labeled)
together as parts of one large file. However, it
sounds like you have been able to extract one file at
a time.  That could mean my system is inapplicable.

Using your system, try to un-rar one file (Like one of
the "interior" files). Copy the rar file to a temp
folder,  then see if you can extract and open that one
file.  If you can, then your way is probably the right
way.  If the rar file is only a part of a series, then
you should not able to extract just one file.  I
always get an error msg saying that the one file is
only a part and winrar needs all the parts.

Estavi

--- Bill Vollmer <agent222@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Estavi Meilu wrote:
>
> > Hello Bill:  Not really sure what you are saying
> about
> > "overwriting".  However, I have handled many of
> these
> > .rar files that need to be combined to extract the
> > full original file.  Usually they look like this:
> > filename.part1.rar;  filename.part2.rar, etc. You
> have
> > to have all the "parts" in order to extract the
> full
> > file.  I have found that once Ihave all the parts,
> if
> > I open WinRar and have it open part1, it will
> > automatcally go through and extract adn combine
> each
> > of the other parts until it has the complete
> source
> > file.  I have never had to extract each part
> > independently.
> >
> > As far as overwriting, Winrar has the option to
> > extract  the whole file to the folder in which the
> > .rar parts are contained.  The original folder,
> then
> > will contain the downloaded parts plus another
> folder
> > with the completed (extracted) source file.  I
> never
> > had a problem with overwriting.
> >
> > Am I missing something?
> >
> > Estavi
> >
> >  Estavi:
>
> Maybe it's me that is missing something.  Let  me
> give an example of
> what I have been doing. A file has two "cds" of 52
> parts each, each part
> contains approximately 14,000,000 bytes. I have been
> going to each part
> individually, part one, then part two, etc.
> decompressing it, using the
> extract, and, replace files option in the update
> mode section, and, in
> the overwrite mode section, using the overwrite
> without prompt option.
> If I understand you right, I have creating for
> myself unnecessary work.
> If I take part one of disc one, decompress it,
> winrar is extracting all
> the parts of the disc, and, I don't need to go to
> the other parts and,
> decompress them.
>
> Bill

http://mail.yahoo.com

Message: 7
   Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 21:28:31 -0800 (PST)
   From: Estavi Meilu <estavi2@xxxxxxxxx>

Glad to hear things are OK.  But have one question--

The lady who complained, how did she come to get your
"spam"? She would have to get your emails through the
Yahoo forum?  What should she have expected?

You are lucky you are not with Netzero (dialup).  My
son, a new sign-up, had his recipients get huge
numbers of the same email---like over 400 to one.  Now
he is getting large batches of multiple inbound msgs.
Can't get help from Netzero.  At least he is not
labeled a spammer--yet.

Estavi

http://mail.yahoo.com

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/