[mattoon-info] Springfield Convention Authority Garage Reconstruction - DEMOLITION

  • From: Betsy Johnson <betsygardnerjohnson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "mattoon-info@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <mattoon-info@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Linda O’Connell <lmoconnell@xxxxxxxxx>, Charlie Knight <ceknight.springfield@xxxxxxxxx>, Beverly Shelton <beverlyshltn@xxxxxxxxx>, Alan Goldsmith <roostny@xxxxxxxxx>, Carol Costa <carolonmac@xxxxxxxxx>, Betsy Johnson <betsygardnerjohnson@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Cicily Corbett <cicily@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Robert Louder <dogman102@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Dan Battisti <danbattisti@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Gerry Enright <ricae21e@xxxxxxxx>, Wayne Nelson <nelsonwayne14@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 18:38:20 -0400

Answers to my questions.  More to come.

  • When will the demolition be taking place?: Permitting and mobilization have been occurring over the last 1 ½ months. Establishing a project perimeter (barriers), utility disconnection, elevator decommissioning and removal of equipment within the garage has been the focus for few weeks.
  • Does this mean the garage will be demolished in the next week?: NO over the next 2 weeks signage is being installed (there was a slight delay in the contractor receiving the physical signs. The signage plan was approved by the City), fencing to be installed above barrier, scrim will be attached to the fence, working with the City and Eversource to disconnect all remaining utilities. Until these items are complete, we cannot be 100% certain when structure demolition can occur but in order to stay on schedule, we do hope demolition begins at some point in mid August.
  • Will there be an implosion or piece by piece?- NO IMPLOSION. The garage will be taken down in pieces starting on the Harrison side of our property and moving towards the Bruce Landon Way side of the property. Implosion would not be the appropriate solution in this urban setting. The garage demolition was designed by licensed engineers who specialize in this type of work. The work is being performed by a contractor with years of experience of performing this type of work.
  • Dust Control?: Yes, dust control is required scope of this project. The dust control plans have been approved by project engineers. The engineers who approve this work across the street from our site so I can assure you, they’ll have close eyes on this.
  • Will there be security?- The contractor owns security of the job site as part of their contract. The MCCA has public safety staff that oversee all our properties. Could you clarify your question regarding security? There is also an approved Safety procedure for this project but I am not sure if that is what you’re asking about.
  • Concern regarding signage: as mentioned above, signage is being installed over the next week. We apologize for the delay. We have been pushing the contractor for this but they were waiting on their supplier to ship them.
 We would be happy to discuss this project in more detail. As I’m sure you’re aware, this garage is many years overdue for demolition. I think we’ll all be happier to see this garage come down (safely) and have a new and safe facility in its place. We are currently in the process of establishing a project website which will show additional project updates as they become available. During this meeting we can also discuss communication paths moving forward. Thanks,Tara
Tara Coughlan​
Senior Project Manager
Massachusetts Convention Center Authority
617.954.1165
Tcoughlan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
415 Summer Street, Boston, MA 02210
SignatureBoston.com | massconvention.com

On Jul 19, 2022, at 4:39 PM, Smith, Shannon <ssmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: Hi Betsy,  My apologies for not getting back to you sooner, we have been coordinating with the city on this project, and we were under the impression that they would be reaching out to you directly, and unfortunately it does not seem like that was the case. We are still working on the design details of the actual garage, but I have copied in our capital projects team on this email, as they would be able to give you a more accurate update.  We are happy to set up some time to discuss this with you, and any other groups that you think would benefit from an update. Thanks,Shannon
<image508874.png>
Shannon Smith
Director of Transportation
Massachusetts Convention Center Authority
617.954.2355