[marc-announce] MARC Shakeout Event

  • From: Jan Peterson <jan.l.peterson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: marc-announce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 13:18:57 -0600

Greetings MARC Members and Friends of MARC!

Apologies if you get this twice... I am sending it to both the MARC announce list and the MARC members list.

Remember, we are NOT having a meeting this week due to the Shakeout (https://www.shakeout.org/utah/).

Due to the lack of club members signing up to participate in the Shakeout, we will only have some informal events.

1.  visit your local elementary school (S.A.F.E. Neighborhood Program schools:  https://www.safeutah.org/) and check on the status of their JIT kit.

Murray has the following schools in the program:

Parkside
Woodstock
Twin Peaks
McMillan
Longview
Grant
Viewmont
Horizon

Brad (KJ7RPV) and Sam (KG7MLL) have already checked on Woodstock and Twin Peaks and found their JIT kits in good order.

Steve (KG7GIT) will check on Longview and Parkside.

I (KD7ZWV) am planning on checking on Grant, Viewmont, and Horizon.

This leaves McMillan and Liberty... if no one else offers to check them, I will do it.

This can be done any day... it doesn't have to be on Thursday.

Please let me know the status of the JIT kit... does the school staff know what it is, where it is, and what it is for?  Have them show it to you.

2.  have your radio on tomorrow (Thursday) morning when the event is scheduled to start (10:15 AM) on the frequency as specified in our club eComms Protocol document (https://www.murrayarc.org/radio-resources/ecomms-protocol/).  We will run a brief net after the event starts; if you are able to, please participate.

As per the eComms protocol document, we will start the net initially on our club repeater at 223.96 MHz (PL 103.5 Hz).  If you have equipment that operates on the 1.25m band, please participate (if your work schedule allows).  If you do not have equipment that operates on the 1.25m band, please monitor one or both of the alternate frequencies, 147.600 MHz simplex and 147.160 MHz (Ensign Peak... the same repeater we use for our weekly club nets).  Once we have the net up on 223.96, we'll check the other frequencies for available stations.

3.  review your own personal readiness for a large-scale earthquake event as per the Shakeout information.  You should be prepared to follow the Drop, Cover, and Hold-on procedure.  Look around wherever you happen to be at 10:21 AM tomorrow and imagine what you would do if "the big one" hits.  Review your personal 96-hour kit (https://www.safeutah.org/about lists what you should include in a 96-hour kit).

4.  think about participating with the Sale Lake Crossroads ARC on Saturday, 30 April, in their "Neighborhoods On The Air (NOTA)" event.  We understand that many people will be at work during the Shakeout and unable to participate.  SLCARC has planned their event accordingly.  Starting at 10:00 AM on the 30th, the plan is to take whatever equipment you think you would need for a 24-hour deployment (including sleeping accommodations, food, water, and power) to your neighborhood elementary school.  Set up your station and equipment as you think you would in an actual event. Check into the net on either 147.500 MHz simplex or 147.540 MHz simplex.  You'll probably need more than an HT to check in on these simplex frequencies... at least an external antenna (like the roll-up j-poles that were built in the club).  Once you are set up, take a couple of pictures of your setup and e-mail them to David (kf7nqy@xxxxxxxxx).  After you take your pictures, they would like you to break down your station and move to another location (a second school, park, hospital, etc.) and do it again.

Speaking of photos, our Fire Department contact, Nick, has requested that we submit any pictures of us doing things shakeout related to him for submission to the department facebook and instagram pages.  Also, the city is recommending stocking your kit for 120-hours (vs. the 96-hour kit recommended on the SAFE Neighborhood site or the typical 72-hour kit that most people already know about).

Take a look at the Family Emergency Handbook for ideas.  Find it here: https://www.murray.utah.gov/DocumentCenter/View/7498/033117---Emergency-Handbook?bidId=

Thank you all for your participation in the club.  MARC has grown and developed over the last three years and there are many more ways we can support our community and members.

73 de KD7ZWV
  -jan-

--
Jan L. Peterson