[macvoiceover] Re: trying to boot from the cd?

  • From: Travis Siegel <tsiegel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 08:37:23 -0500

I don't think you can use the boot option in system preferences to specify a cd to boot from, but do be sure you push the C key as soon as you hear the startup tone, then hold it down until the cd begins booting. If you let it go too soon, the disk won't boot, and it will go to the hd. On the other hand, with some linux distros, if you hold it down too long, they won't get the startup prompt asking you for your boot instructions, and that won't work either, so it's a balancing act, and one that is sometimes hard to get right. On the other hand, I do think holding down the option key will allow you to choose the cd to boot from, though I'm not positive on this one, so that's something to try, and with that one, you don't need to worry about the C key causing bypassing of your linux startup boot prompt.

On Mar 30, 2011, at 8:12 AM, Justin Mann wrote:

Hi all,
I've burned my distro of open solaris, and the diskchecks out so I now that all is well. I have a usb keyboard connected to my macbookpro, and I also have a bluetooth keyboard connected. When i restart, I am pressing down on the c key on the usb keyboard, but for some reason, I'm still booting up in to mac os x. Is there another way?