[macvoiceover] Re: reading foreign language web pages using safari and vo

  • From: Richie Gardenhire <rhire1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 09:14:54 -0900

Mary, I have the Assistiveware voices and they work quite nicely with VoiceOver, once the voices are installed. They would be in the Speech Preferences. I don't use them for reading foreign language pages, but there was a conference for assistive technology about four months ago here in Anchorage, where someone said they had fairly good success with Assistiveware voices. Richie Gardenhire, anchorage, Alaska.

On Dec 22, 2009, at 7:40 AM, Mary Otten wrote:

Hi folks,
I just got my Mac Mini yesterday. Definitely going to be a learning
curve in there. Has anybody tried the high quality voices from
assistiveware and used them to read foreign language texts or web
pages? I think I read somewhere that it is possible to have different
voices speak different things, e.g. status messages and text could be
two different voices. I didn't see how to do that in the VO utility.
Saw a bunch of voices but no way to split up tasks so that, say one
voice would read system and status messages, while the other would read
text. And that, I imagine is what you'd want to do if you were reading
a foreign language web page. So, any hints would be most welcome.

Mary